• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

File spliiting HELP PLEASE!!!

Laubi02

Distinguished Member
hi all,

basically, i have an HD movie file thats about 7.8gb, im trying to put it in my media hard drive (storex 500gb) but it keeps denying as it says my hard drive cant handle more than a 4gb file.

is there any way i can put it on my hard drive so i can watch it on my HDTV?

its a fat32 HDD, i clicked "format" and so do i need to format it to NTSF? if so, what changes would that make? like would it erase all the files on my HDD?
or can i split the file using some program?

many many thanks!!!

DJSigma

Banned
If you format the drive in order to change the file system to NTFS, you will lose everything on the drive. The 4 GB thing is a limitation of using FAT32, which would be resolved if you did choose to format the drive to NTFS, but it depends whether whatever device you are plugging the hard drive into can handle the NTFS file system. An Xbox 360 for example, would not be able to read it.

What format is the file? MKV? Whatever it is, if you Google the file extension along with the word "split", you should find info on how to do it. For MKV files there is a program called SPLIT by KanastaCorp that's free and claims to be able to split files, but I've never used it.

Laubi02

Distinguished Member
If you format the drive in order to change the file system to NTFS, you will lose everything on the drive. The 4 GB thing is a limitation of using FAT32, which would be resolved if you did choose to format the drive to NTFS, but it depends whether whatever device you are plugging the hard drive into can handle the NTFS file system. An Xbox 360 for example, would not be able to read it.

What format is the file? MKV? Whatever it is, if you Google the file extension along with the word "split", you should find info on how to do it. For MKV files there is a program called SPLIT by KanastaCorp that's free and claims to be able to split files, but I've never used it.

well i plug my hdd to asus oplay! thingy so not sure whether it can handle that! unless it plugs into my blu ray sony s363?

it is a mkv and was just wondering, if i split the file up to say 2 files, would there be a synching problem as in a break btween the 2 files? or is there a way to sort that out?

DJSigma

Banned
A few posts on the web suggest that your Asus box can support NTFS. I can't 100% confirm that myself though.

Can you create playlists with it or play videos sequentially? I would imagine that you can, but even if you can I would think that there would be a noticeable gap between the two files.

I think your best bet in the long run is to backup the drive, format it to NTFS (although confirm that the Asus supports it first, but I think you'll be OK) and then copy the files back as they are. Splitting them is a pain and you're gonna end up with a gap in playback.

Laubi02

Distinguished Member
A few posts on the web suggest that your Asus box can support NTFS. I can't 100% confirm that myself though.

Can you create playlists with it or play videos sequentially? I would imagine that you can, but even if you can I would think that there would be a noticeable gap between the two files.

I think your best bet in the long run is to backup the drive, format it to NTFS (although confirm that the Asus supports it first, but I think you'll be OK) and then copy the files back as they are. Splitting them is a pain and you're gonna end up with a gap in playback.

thanks sigma,

i will try and split the file up 1st and see how bad the gap is. as ive got like 400gb+ worth of files to back up.

just one last question, is there any disadvantages of having your hdd as a ntfs?

jungleb

I've been using a filesplitting program called HJSplit for years. It's free and very easy to use.

DJSigma

Banned
I've been using a filesplitting program called HJSplit for years. It's free and very easy to use.
HJSplit is great for splitting files, but it's not designed for splitting a video into separate sections so that all sections are independently playable. It's more of a tool for splitting files to send them over the Internet in more manageable pieces, then the person at the other end reassembles the pieces after downloading.

jungleb

HJSplit is great for splitting files, but it's not designed for splitting a video into separate sections so that all sections are independently playable. It's more of a tool for splitting files to send them over the Internet in more manageable pieces, then the person at the other end reassembles the pieces after downloading.

Ahh yes, I missed the bit about the file being an MKV, for which HJSplit wouldn't be suitable.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom