file sharing one way only

Docta teef

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im at present attempting to set up a wired home network to share media files. It consists at present of 1)My main pc in my office running MCE XP 2)an x box 360 and 3) a newly constructed HTPC.
The main PC is carrying all my CD's as WMA lossless and about 1TB of DVD ISO's. So far i ve no problems streaming content to my xbox 360 (though Transcode 360 tends to have the odd problem with random films).
My main problem is settig up the network with the two PC's, initially i ran the small home network wiz on my main PC followed by on the HTPC. Ive found that the two are able to see each other i can take shared DOCs form the HTPC and see them on my main system but if i try to access the main pc from the HTPC via the network groups im informed i do not have permission to use the network resource and to contact the Admin ie me!
Ive spent about a week messing and cannot find a work around if i cannot get file sharing this way im looking at having to go out and buy a NAS.

If we take one PC at a time, say the XP one. On the folder you want to share and lets say My Music have you right mouse clicked the My Music folder tab and enabled sharing (FULL access). When done you will see a hand under the icon in explorer and every folder contained within My Music will now be available across a network.

I ve set the fikes to full sharing i even set the HDD's i want to pull the files off to full sharing. But to no avail. The only way my HTPC can detect the movie files i want to get at is through a shortcut i have created through the all users file to my movies but it would appear i cannot use this with media porta which i am using on the HTPC

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom