1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File/Internet Sharing settings

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Loafer316, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi ppl. Just building Shuttle XPC for my little sister (SN41G2/XP2600/512DDR)..also upgrading my current one (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe/XP2600/512DDR). Currently a router is not a possiblity due to cost. Anyway the cable modem is connected to my PC via Ethernet i also have a NIC out and have a crossover cable run from my room to hers.

I will install XP Pro on both machines...and will probably be able to use the wizard to setup the sharing. But I need to know do i need to have firewalls setup on both machines (i use Kerio Personal Firewall)? and if i do will this cause any conflict? Also when it comes to file sharing can i choose what and what not directory she can have access to? how do i go about doing this? i just want her to have access to the MP3s , TV/Movies etc.

Also security wise because i have enabled file sharing will this be more of a security risk?:rolleyes:

thxs:smashin: :zonked:

2. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

No you dont need the firewall on both PC's, you can put it on both but it may cause more trouble than it prevents.

Firewalls traditionally sit on the machine that has the Internet connection (ie your PC).

Running the file sharing wizard on yours should enable the "My shared documents" folder on your PC, so any files you want your sister to access should be stored in that folder.

Running the file sharing wizard should not add any risk as you are running a firewall, as long as the firewall is ok (dont know the one youre using personally) it should block any attempts to access files on your computer from the Internet.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I find it easier just to set up the shares manually, simply right click on drive/folder and set to share.

You do not need a firewall on the shuttle, however it would be useful to set up internet connection sharing (unless you don't want your sis to access the internet!).

You will have to configure your firewall to allow requests from your sisters PC, this will be in the instruction manual.

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :laugh: Yeah i'll let the little brat use the net......usually my firewall notifies of someone accessing my PC and asks wheather to give access...i'll create a rule/permit for her pc.

I'll use the above methods to sort out the file sharing...if i have any probs i'll get back to u.

thxs for your help guys!:smashin: