File Formats / TV Standards

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by happhhitachi, Jan 12, 2012.

1. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Folks

I know almost nothing about video, be gentle...

My Canon camcorder (tape based) has died and I need a replacement. This time I want a slild state memory based unit not tape.

My understanding is that in the days of tape the material was recorded in the TV format of the region the unit was purchased in. PAL in the UK, NTSC in the states and so on...

Now most units are solid state (flash memory) does this still apply or is the 'recording' now just a computer file that will play anywhere?

I ask because I travel quite a bit and have the opportunity to buy a unit overseas (if they are cheaper) but obviously need a unit that ultimately produces a DVD that will play in the UK on a UK TV.

Oh dear.... just reading through this forum, this looks much more complex then I thought it would be. Should add that its just for family/holiday footage, I have no great ambitions for video footage.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    If you buy a HD Camcorder in a NTSC country it's native frame rates will be 29.97fps or (2 x 29.97 fps). A PAL area camcorder will record natively at 25fps or 50fps.

For HD content this doesn't matter but it's significant for SD DVD production.

For the PAL based camcorder DVD's will be the higher resolution but lower frame rate of 720 x 576 25fps.

The NTSC camcorder DVD's will need to be 720 x 480 29.97 fps.

3. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Looks like the only safe option for a video novice with limited interest in the finer points of video editing and format conversion is a UK sourced unit. I really dont want to get into heavy duty editing and mucking around with too much file format conversion.

Many thanks for the info on this, much appreciated. :smashin: