fiio Headphone AMP

etaf

Novice Member
I'm looking to replace a small cheap headphone amp ( runs on 2x AAA batts ) I purchased from Maplin a few years ago to run in the car and on a pair of headphones

used
On an apple Touch and a Nano
On Car Stereo via the Aux input - current amp works fine
in the car I also have a USB charger

Sennheiser PXC-450 Noise reduction headphones
Bass boast maybe useful - when on noise reduction loses a bit of bass

I have been looking at the Fiio E range and yep, a little confused

I would like to use while charging - I know some do - But if theres a big advantage for the modek that does not charge than happy to put up with that

I like the extended battery life 80hrs mentioned on one of the models

I will also purchase the ipod cable, as this is mentioned in a few reviews as improving quality

so what do i know
I'm tempted by the
E7 - £50
Batt life 80 hrs ,
no noise hiss,
can NOT be used while charging
150mW 16ohm

E6 - much cheaper £20 -
still no noise hiss,
can be used while charging
battery life 10hrs -
poor build quality compared to F5 - but F5 has hiss

E11 Approx £40
can NOT be used while charging
battery life 10hrs
battery that is easily replaceable
300mW - 16ohm - so is this really twice the power of the E7

E10
now very confused

so a little confused on what will work best

Do not want for PC sound - just the headphones

any help will help - thanks
also any alternative suggestions

Last edited:

probedb

Banned
My E7 charges whilst in use. Not sure where you got that from?

I use mine via USB and can recommend it :)

etaf

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply

My E7 charges whilst in use. Not sure where you got that from?
One of the reviews mentioned it, cannot find now, so may have read wrongly - Excellent, so i can charge from a car lighter and still use while in the car - that very useful , I also like the idea of 80 hrs battery life - what do you use yours with ?
do you get anywhere near the 80hrs batt life ?
opinion on Quality and any hiss

Last edited:

Subliminal Aura

Novice Member
On an apple Touch and a Nano
On Car Stereo via the Aux input - current amp works fine
in the car I also have a USB charger

E7 looks like an excellent choice or if you can wait a couple of months for the E17 if it gets released :)

ps I've got the E10 it's an amazing upgrade for a laptop mate but not of any use to you. However there are rumours that a Nokia N8 can take an external USB DAC albeit at the cost of heavy battery consumption. I'll give this a try to see if it works

Last edited:

Subliminal Aura

Novice Member
any idea what the specification/features/price of this will be ?

All speculation at the moment but if it's anything like the E10 it's going to be a cracker.

I reckon Fiio will remain the budget king as they're taking away good business from the overpriced dacs out there ;) so I would expect the E17 to come in less that £100 - hopefully £75 ish :thumbsup:

Drubbing

Novice Member
I reckon Fiio will remain the budget king as they're taking away good business from the overpriced dacs out there ;) so I would expect the E17 to come in less that £100 - hopefully £75 ish :thumbsup:

They're a budget product with budget performance. Which overpriced DACs are you referring to?

etaf

Novice Member
looking at the specifications of the E17 - thanks - not sure I need the optical etc -
I will probably use on the PC after all - now that i have found Spotify :) so i may listen on the PC after all
so the DAC may be useful after all

Seems i'm moving towards the E7 with a L7 - any thoughts on the L7 dock ? and a L3 cable
Not sure what the difference is now in the L3 or the L9 cable - anyone

Rizvan

I have a question if it's ok to add to this thread.

Having ordered a set of Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones to listen to my MP3 audio collection (128/192kbps encoded) would a FiiO E7 be a good addition?
I will mainly listen to the music via my iPhone4/iPad or MacBook Pro.
Would a notice the difference given the fact all my music is MP3 based with medium bit rates?

Cheers

Riz :)

GBDG1

Distinguished Member

Having ordered a set of Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones to listen to my MP3 audio collection (128/192kbps encoded) would a FiiO E7 be a good addition?
Would a notice the difference given the fact all my music is MP3 based with medium bit rates?

Cheers

Noo, you need to sort out the quality of your Mp3s! I'm not a purist and i'm not going to say you should use losless (even if you should) but you want to at least be looking at 320kbps!

Rizvan

GBDG1 said:
Noo, you need to sort out the quality of your Mp3s! I'm not a purist and i'm not going to say you should use losless (even if you should) but you want to at least be looking at 320kbps!

With over 2300 tracks trying to find lossless versions won't be easy :( I will skip getting a FiiO for now and see how I get on with the P5's once they arrive.
I know that Apple's iTunes Match (iCloud) service offers 256Kbps AAC versions but that's still way off 320kbps / lossless.

soundstory

Cheers

A pair of headphones of that quality & you are playing back mp3's encoded at 128 & 192?? :eek::eek:

etaf

Novice Member
so update
my daughter got the fiio 7 , dock and ipod cable - changing the unit at the moment and will play later
also taking mother in law home tomorrow - so on my way back will have 1.5 hrs in the car
and again picking my mum up next day so another 1.5 hrs in car
should get a good test

Subliminal Aura

Novice Member
also taking mother in law home tomorrow - so on my way back will have 1.5 hrs in the car
and again picking my mum up next day so another 1.5 hrs in car
should get a good test

That's one hell of a test, you're a man who lives life at the edge :rotfl:

E7 has good battery life from what I hear so you shouldn't have any problems. Also noticed it's back down to 50quid on Amazon but I must resist :)

etaf

Novice Member
the pricce on amazon was changing a couple of quid each day UPWARDS before xmas

I have a USB charger in the Car - and another choice of E7 was the fact you can also use and charge

Off in about 1/2 hour

majnu

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
i got the Fiio E7 off my brother for my birthday in September, and was very impressed with it. however, it decided to fry itself and just stopped working, so had to send it back for a refund.

haven't bought another yet, as prices were getting silly before xmas, but at the moment they are back down to £50 on Amazon, so might get one now - or should i get the E17 instead?

on a side note, this is a question to anyone else who has bought the E7. when you took it out the box, did it appear that the screen was really scratched, and did you have a little note inside saying, in broken English, that this is perfectly normal to look like this, that it is just a screen protector and that after 2 weeks you should take it off and apply the additional screen protector?

etaf

Novice Member
on a side note, this is a question to anyone else who has bought the E7. when you took it out the box, did it appear that the screen was really scratched, and did you have a little note inside saying, in broken English, that this is perfectly normal to look like this, that it is just a screen protector and that after 2 weeks you should take it off and apply the additional screen protector?
yes, not sure about the 2 weeks - mine is quite marked up

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
it looks marked up, and i thought mine was scratched, but there is actually a protective film on there, and its a right bugger to get off to replace it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett