FiiO E1 SOund quality

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by pwood, Jan 12, 2012.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Im considering E6 but the E1 looks like the easiest to use in that it also controls iPod. Can anyone confirm if E1 is capable of providing a significant boost in drive to S4 and the like or should I go straight to E6 combo for a far better sound quality jump. Its for Ipod and iPad. Main thing is drive as I find the S4s need rather more volume than my cx200s.

2. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You'll get extra volume, not extra SQ. S4 are still easy to drive in ears, they really shouldn't need any more volume.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I certainly need to have two or three steps of volume compared with the CX200's i have however I suppose it could be due to far better mid & top end the sound is far more tolerable at higher volumes.

Would the E6 with the direct line out connection give a notable improvement over standard headphone out. Im thinking the Nano I have being rather old now would benefit from the amp being bypassed am I right in thinking that?

The S4's certainly show up poor headphone outputs. My Onkyo 875AVamp using Sonos and FLAC as source sounds rubbish compared with my iPad using 320kbps MP3:eek: My intention was to use my Samsung Galaxy S2 (using FLAC) as outside source but its really low in output and lacks any guts using the S4's so i think an E6 again could be the answer as E1 is not compatible.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I never found portable players sounded any better via a line out and a good portable amp. The one I had cost $400 and I primarily used it at home as it had a DAC stage too. Made a difference over my PC onboard, but that's not too hard.

Amps don't make everything better, but so many people think hooking one up to an iPod is going to add something significant.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Used to own a portable RSA amp, best part of £200. The only thing it added to my then iPod Nano was slightly more prominent clear milkier mids and a slither wider soundstage. But then had to be in a quiet room alone with my UM2 to detect. So ultimately a "fashion" purchase that was not adding anything out and about other than bulk. Have also demoed others like the Pico and an iBasso and opinion remains unchanged

So that was top end 3 figure amps. Predictably my experience with budget Fiio amps and also eBay cmoy amps, is that apart from a volume boost, they do absolutely nothing

There is nothing wrong with having to turn volume up to drive less efficient portable earphones, battery life issue aside. Is it really spending loadsa money for the sake of putting duties on an amp? Hell no imo, but then it depends on your own logic. The only stage a portable amp will be worth it is if you have purchased top end universal IEM's or began dipping into customs and can justify upgrading the rest of the chain.

If you have room to upgrade earphones then put your money there. You will at least encounter an alternative sound signature even if not necessarily an SQ upgrade. An amp will merely accentuate the good things in a sound signature but only if you spend the money. It's not about to turn water into wine and deliver something that was missing

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    So apart from more volume there is little point. Makes sense and kinda what I was thinking hence the post to be sure . More suited to HiFi headphones that need a load of drive to get them to an acceptable volume.

7. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    No, Steven has already pointed out the basic premise of amps. Cheap ones like the Fiios are just volume boosters. So long as that's all you want, you won't be disappointed. But as he said, you're better served by better earphonoes if SQ is what you want.

Quality headphones that require amping need a decent amp that puts out power. Fiios are suitable for such phones.

8. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    thanks for the replies :smashin: