Fight Night 3 on PSP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jedi-jae, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Rented it for now, but thought I'd give some thoughts.

I'm a veteran FN player, have the first two on PS2, will get the 3rd shortly, but couldn't resist a PSP round of boxing.

Firstly, the controls take a bit of getting used to, but persevere and you'll get there. I recommend a sparring session to get you started.

Graphics wise, it's the business, not looking to far away from FN2. There's certainly a lot of detail there.

The new contracts and rivalry system works well, though I'm only in the amateur league, two more fights till I turn pro.

By default the rounds are 1 minute long, but you can change this along with other settings.

There is no training, that I can see, it is automatic and you choose power, balanced or speed and then select confident, aggressive, etc.

Doesn't look as though the ESPN boxing clips are present, but the game mode to recreate an historical fight, and try to change history if you want, is there.

There's a good selection of boxers, doesn't look like the full game roster though, unless you have to unlock them, like you do the venues?

Anyway, all in all EA have done a great job of transferring one of my favourite games to the PSP - rent it if nothing else, but persevere with the controls, they seem so alien to anyone used to the full game, but you'll get there and soon be knocking em down - I had my last fight stopped by the ref as my opponent just couldn't hack it! :D

The only cheeky thing is that if you want to play online you have to pay or be subjected to ads! As an aside, I see the UK still doesn't get PS2 online fighting, grrrr.

any questions, fire away, I'll do my best to answer

2. meega

meega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thnx for the review jedi!
    Is their any game sharing? or does this require a one per machine? trying to decide between FN3, Lemmings or a short wait for Worms? Ta!

3. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No game sharing, but 2 player wireless is supported, as is 2 player online support (but there is a charge)

4. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Lemmings port is excellent - so if you're a big Lemmings fan and wasn't burnt out from playing the 999 previous versions then it's well worth getting.

Tales of Eternia is a very good game - one of the best PSP games I've played so far.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    What's the load times like (my biggest bugbear of the PSP)?