Fifth element - which version OK?

crobo

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I thought it best to check details anyway.

I seem to remember that Fifth Element having a poor first release on blu-ray. Does this mean that I have to get the 'remastered' version or is it not that simple? I will probably rent from Blockbuster and want to get it right.

Thanks in advance

BadAss

Banned
The Remstered version is a US release only so I don't think you'll see it in UK BB.

You'll probably have to buy it I'm afraid.

sore napper

I know the 1st edition isn't great, but Axel Music have it at £7.99, but then again the 2nd edition is £12.97.

crobo

Thanks for that. Does this mean the BB copies are likely to be the inferior initial release that's prevalent in the UK or are the more recent UK copies up to top standard?

Edit: for clarity: does remastered = improved transfer?

BadAss

Banned
Yep see post #2

chelsea.tone

Distinguished Member
The U.S. "re-mastered" version plays on U.K. ps3 (just bought from amazon.com)

Tony

crobo

Thanks for all that folks. Off to Movietyme.

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
I know the 1st edition isn't great, but Axel Music have it at £7.99, but then again the 2nd edition is £12.97.

It's worse than not great, it's terrible. If you don't care about the picture quality get the DVD otherwise spend the extra and get the remastered version which looks fantastic. Of course Buying the wrong one and getting it swapped by Sony for free is the best way to do it if you are very cost concious but I'm not sure that is something we can do in this country.

There is some great comparisons at the american forum we can't link to anymore with the shots grabbed straight from the disk. The new version looks great. Big Props to Sony for correcting their mistake and replaceing peoples disks :thumbsup:.

Jim Morrison

I wouldn't take the original issue if it were offered to me for free! Re-mastered is definitely the way to go - the PQ is absolutely stunning! :thumbsup:

dbs2

Banned
Can anyone answer these 2 Q's pls? Thanks :smashin:

1)As far as i am aware the main thing to check is that it has a dolby true hd soundtrack, only the rematered version has this as well as the pcm track, the first one only has a pcm track

2) Yes i think it is.... thats where i got mine from - Stunning Picture :thumbsup:

chelsea.tone

Distinguished Member
Got mine from amazon.com for around £14 delivered :smashin: (plays on UK ps3)

But i use dvdworld and can highly recommend them

Tony

Shaka

Chaps, I bought the remastered edition quite recently and only got round to watching it about a week ago. Is it me or is the PQ kinda grainy?? Or is it supposed to be like that?
I thought I was being very picky but then I tried a couple of other blurays (POTC, The Host etc) and there is definitely a noticeable difference. I'm just wondering if that is the best I can expect from it. And yes, it is definitely the remastered version. Bought it from Moietye and it has the TrueHD soundtrack.

cheers,

Shaka

philbam

Novice Member
Mine arrived as well today, looking forward to watching.
Yes, it does say Dolby Tru Hd.:thumbsup:

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
well worth getting the rematsered over the original release which is 'poor' for HD.

crobo

Well I just watched it and I have to say the remastered version (bought from Movietyme) is absolutely fantastic.

Roll on 6th element

cheers folks

crobo

Yup, let's hope not. They might put Tom Cruise in it.

Jas H

I bought the remastered one from Movietyme too, and viewed it last night. Image quality is good, but not anywhere near the standard set by the best movies such as Apocalypto.

Grain is prevalent and is especially bad on blue skies.

I daren't imagine how bad the original release was.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio introduces Evo all-in-one audio system
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts