FIFA21 - should I buy PS4 disc and then get upgrade or is a better PS5 disc coming?

ChippyGoLucky

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, Playstation newby here so apologies if this is a dumb question...
So my PS5 arrived (WOO!) - disc drive version - and now I'm wanting to get FIFA21, but I can only see PS4 discs for sale from retailers. I've read that I can insert the PS4 disc and upgrade to get the PS5 version of the game but I'm wondering if that's the best or maybe only way of doing it? Like, will they be bringing out a dedicated PS5 disc and if so will that be somehow better?

Same goes for Watchdogs Legion too - should I get the PS4 disc and then download the upgrade or will there be a PS5 disc at some point that's worth waiting for?

Part of my thinking is for eventually re-selling it on the second-hand market. Maybe it's best to wait and play other games for a bit?

Advice appreciated!

I know it’s confusing, all this next gen free up grade stuff , I know what it means but I just want to buy the PS5 version too but am not 100% sure which version too go for !

I know it’s confusing, all this next gen free up grade stuff , I know what it means but I just want to buy the PS5 version too but am not 100% sure which version too go for !
I know right!!! o_O Like I found this on Amazon but how do we tell if it's any better than just buying the PS4 disc and downloading the upgrade? >> Amazon product ASIN B08PD7JJMSView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIFA-21-NXT-LVL-PS5/dp/B08PD7JJMS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ps5+fifa+21&qid=1607608574&sr=8-1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You
Hey folks, Playstation newby here so apologies if this is a dumb question...
So my PS5 arrived (WOO!) - disc drive version - and now I'm wanting to get FIFA21, but I can only see PS4 discs for sale from retailers. I've read that I can insert the PS4 disc and upgrade to get the PS5 version of the game but I'm wondering if that's the best or maybe only way of doing it? Like, will they be bringing out a dedicated PS5 disc and if so will that be somehow better?

Same goes for Watchdogs Legion too - should I get the PS4 disc and then download the upgrade or will there be a PS5 disc at some point that's worth waiting for?

Part of my thinking is for eventually re-selling it on the second-hand market. Maybe it's best to wait and play other games for a bit?

Advice appreciated!
There are ps5 versions of fifa and watchdogs available now.

There were problems upgrading ps4 to ps5 versions. However I think it has been sorted.
Fifa seems to be £10 more expensive on ps5 than ps4.

I went the upgrade from ps5 to ps5 for fifa and after a bit of trouble getting the ps5 version to download I managed to bet it working.

The only pain is I have to keep the ps4 version installed or it keeps trying to install every time I put the disc in

I know right!!! o_O Like I found this on Amazon but how do we tell if it's any better than just buying the PS4 disc and downloading the upgrade? >> Amazon product ASIN B08PD7JJMSView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIFA-21-NXT-LVL-PS5/dp/B08PD7JJMS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ps5+fifa+21&qid=1607608574&sr=8-1
I do not know what extras you get with that, I went the upgrade route and the ps5 version is a big improvement , if looks and sounds great.

Took a while to get the ps5 version to download for free, but finally got it downloaded. Have to keep the ps4 version installed as it kept trying to install every time I put the disc jn

Yeah it is abit confusing which disc version to buy, could someone confirm the correct cover on the front for the PS5 version as it says PS4 and PS5 for the game on some sites, had a look on the PS store the other night and its on there under PS5 games.

Yeah I think that is the PS5 version, just looked on game and the PS4 game is on there with a different cover.

I downloaded the PS5 next level edition from the store last night but the main pic on the Home Screen is beckham and not the cover of the PS5 game in the store or the disc artwork , does this show when someone has loaded the disc as well ? I know there’s some extra with beckham included or something with the game but wasn’t sure why the main cover image wasn’t showing.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that is the PS5 version, just looked on game and the PS4 game is on there with a different cover.
I just wonder whether it's worth spending that extra money or if it basically ends up as the same as getting PS4 disc + free upgrade. No-one seems to know!

I downloaded the PS5 next level edition from the store last night but the main pic on the Home Screen is beckham and not the cover of the PS5 game in the store or the disc artwork , does this show when someone has loaded the disc as well ? I know there’s some extra with beckham included or something with the game but wasn’t sure why the main cover image wasn’t showing.

No idea about this as I haven't bought either yet. Do you mind if I ask what you paid for that?

FIFA 21 on PS5 is a massive improvement. Plays so much better
That's cool to know ta! Just wondering which route is best - pay more for PS5 disc or get PS4 disc and do free upgrade... Any advice? If they end up as the same game maybe it's worth saving the dosh, but then it won't be worth as much to resell...

Confused dot com! LOL

It's the same base game whether you go ps4 to ps5 upgrade or by the standalone ps5 version. However I think you may get more stuff for ultimate team with the ps5 version.

One thing I found though is I have to keep the ps4 version installed or it keeps trying to install it everytime I put the disc in.

I’m new into fifa , always play PES before, can you play different leagues offline yourself and how do you choose a league season with your team, don’t really want to go online yet as I’d get battered , I can’t even navigate the main menu at the moment! Ha.

No idea about this as I haven't bought either yet. Do you mind if I ask what you paid for that?

No worries mate, £69.99 on PS Store, same price as the disc version, I can’t be bothered taking the disc in and out of the slot every time I want to play a game, so think I’m going to go digital with my games and just use the drive for 4K Blu Rays.

I’m new into fifa , always play PES before, can you play different leagues offline yourself and how do you choose a league season with your team, don’t really want to go online yet as I’d get battered , I can’t even navigate the main menu at the moment! Ha.
You just pick tournament and then pick country and then what league or Cup you want

No worries mate, £69.99 on PS Store, same price as the disc version, I can’t be bothered taking the disc in and out of the slot every time I want to play a game, so think I’m going to go digital with my games and just use the drive for 4K Blu Rays.

Cheers Carl80. Yeah you're spot on - I just had this chat with EA online help and they basically said you're choosing between price and hassle. The download you've got is the least hassle of all!

So I've got an answer to my original question - apparently there's no difference between the PS4 disc + upgrade compared to the PS5 disc/download version. So as the PS4 disc is cheaper it's a choice between cost and convenience.

So the new question is which disc is more likely to sell second hand when FIFA22 comes out - PS4 or PS5? My guess is maybe PS4 as it's compatible with both machines so there will be more people who could buy it... What do you lot reckon?

Attachments

• FIFA21 chat.png
    FIFA21 chat.png
    409.8 KB · Views: 240
I had the same debate myself but I’ve resorted to buying the PS4 disc version and will download the free upgrade.

Managed to grab a sealed copy off Facebook for £30, going to collect it shortly.

I've just bought the UE on the store, it gives you the option to download both versions.

You just pick tournament and then pick country and then what league or Cup you want

How do you choose two random teams mate for a one off game ?

Cheers Carl80. Yeah you're spot on - I just had this chat with EA online help and they basically said you're choosing between price and hassle. The download you've got is the least hassle of all!

So I've got an answer to my original question - apparently there's no difference between the PS4 disc + upgrade compared to the PS5 disc/download version. So as the PS4 disc is cheaper it's a choice between cost and convenience.

So the new question is which disc is more likely to sell second hand when FIFA22 comes out - PS4 or PS5? My guess is maybe PS4 as it's compatible with both machines so there will be more people who could buy it... What do you lot reckon?

Well I’d say the PS5 disc will sell quicker cause PS5 is all the rage at the moment but know more people have PS4’s , by next year though that will probably change.

You won’t be able to play the game again though I think if you sell it, it’s locked so you have to insert the disc everytime once you first load it on, something to do with the licence of the game, so if you sell it will ask for the disc to be inserted if you want to play that game. Another reason I’m going down the DL PS store route.

The free upgrade will only be available up until the release day of fifa 22.

So if you buy a ps4 fifa 21 after fifa 22 releases then you wont be able to play that 21 disc on the ps5, as the upgrade option won't be there anymore. Something to consider for the resale aspect of the ps4 version.

To anyone, how do you choose a random one off game against any club to play offline, like a friendly game? Want to play a few games against different teams from different countries without playing in a tournament.

To anyone, how do you choose a random one off game against any club to play offline, like a friendly game? Want to play a few games against different teams from different countries without playing in a tournament.
Without checking right now I believe you just go into quick match or play now - its the one where you choose what time of game you want to apply (heads & volleys, no fouls etc) theres an option for classic match or something like that

Without checking right now I believe you just go into quick match or play now - its the one where you choose what time of game you want to apply (heads & volleys, no fouls etc) theres an option for classic match or something like that

Cheers mate, I’ll have a look. I haven’t looked at the menu’s much since I bought it but it didn’t seem to stand out.

Just had a look , still can’t work out how to choose random teams without playing online !

Just had a look , still can’t work out how to choose random teams without playing online !
Choose play menu (at the top where you’ve got home/play/online/customise)
Should have ”Kick off” - pick that option
Toggle controller on side select to home side
Ready
The you will be able to pick what type of game you want (classic/house rules/Volta etc)
Pick Classic Match
There you can pick what team you wanna be and the teams you are playing against followed by kits
Then you have options play match/team management etc - change your line up if you wish and play when ready

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom