FIFA to try 5 officials for Football

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
FIFA is to experiment with five officials next season in the Europa Cup (formerly known as UEFA Cup)

2 linesmen/persons, and 1 referee per usual, but with two extra officials to monitor the penalty boxes to help referees with the tough calls close to goal as an alternative to proposals for the use of video images.

The experimental matches will start at the group stage of the competition.

Be interesting to know where they're supposed to stand. Wherever it is their view of at least 1/4 of the penalty area will be restricted in one way of another so not too sure why they're bothering. IMO it would take less time to have a video operator in the stands

Guess it overcomes the problem with games/clubs that do not have video equipment or are being televised, so can work for all games across all leagues if successful?

Guess it overcomes the problem with games/clubs that do not have video equipment or are being televised, so can work for all games across all leagues if successful?

Although isn't there a shortage of match officials as it is?

Although isn't there a shortage of match officials as it is?

I guess they need to be less fit if they are only observing the penalty area, so you might get some older officials out of retirement.

Presumably UEFA are admitting the Europa League really does not mean anymore and so anything goes in that

What happens if the officials disagree?

What happens if the ref doesn't ask their opinion?

Look at the amount of penalty decisions in which the ref never bothers to question his linesmen. Webb, Styles et all have the benefit of asking for a second opinion already but usually just point straight to the spot based on their gut reaction.

What happens if the ref doesn't ask their opinion?

Look at the amount of penalty decisions in which the ref never bothers to question his linesmen. Webb, Styles et all have the benefit of asking for a second opinion already but usually just point straight to the spot based on their gut reaction.

Maybe all penalty box decisions will be only made by the penalty box officials...it could all get messy

Would be better having 2 referees, 1 in each half off there own pitch.

I'm in favour of video replays for those very important decisions

Sure it might make things a stop/start affair like American football, but it can only be a matter of time before its introduced

I imagine the Ref continues to have overall say, however he's more likely see a fellow official behind the goal line attracting his attention than he is a linesman.

Re: Video tech - Don't think we need to worry about lower level football, lower level rugby & cricket survives fine without video technology.

It's rubbish, why change the system, yeah there is a lot of mistakes by referees, but that is the way it is, The way it always was

So what happens when pretty much every decision is perfect, we all go into work the next day and say, yeah did you watch the match last night, yeah it was boring wasn't it.

You'd have nothing to talk about

Keep Football Real!

It's rubbish, why change the system, yeah there is a lot of mistakes by referees, but that is the way it is, The way it always was

So what happens when pretty much every decision is perfect, we all go into work the next day and say, yeah did you watch the match last night, yeah it was boring wasn't it.

You'd have nothing to talk about

Keep Football Real!

Exactly my opinion. Why change it? Ref's are humans they make mistakes/can't see everything...how long have we been playing football for?

Players/managers/chairman all make mistakes so why shouldn't ref's be able to?

All that needs to happen is after a mistake has been made they should come forward and admit it.

If this system is used in the world cup i won't bother watching it.

Exactly my opinion. Why change it? Ref's are humans they make mistakes/can't see everything...how long have we been playing football for?

How long were players allowed to pass back to their own keeper? They changed that and yet you're still watching so what's so different now?

Players/managers/chairman all make mistakes so why shouldn't ref's be able to?

Because the three examples you mentioned are all connected with the club and thus part of its structure, if they get something terribly wrong they can be replaced by the club. The ref is someone not connected who could have an adverse affect on a club's future.

All that needs to happen is after a mistake has been made they should come forward and admit it.

If a team won the title or was relegated by such a decision, do you honestly think the fans would accept a mere apology?

If this system is used in the world cup i won't bother watching it.

Are you honestly saying that two officials out of eyeline for the majority of the time and who may never be called into play will stop you watching a major tournament?

Do you not think you may be overreacting just a little?

Ah, memories of the fabled golden goal rule :D
Because the three examples you mentioned are all connected with the club and thus part of its structure, if they get something terribly wrong they can be replaced by the club. The ref is someone not connected who could have an adverse affect on a club's future.
Well I would not be that extreme... the best players make mistakes, match losing mistakes but I do not recall anyone being sacked, which is what the fan typically cries for when it is a referee

I would assert it is a problem of partly accountability and partly only the most indisputable of mistakes drawing an apology, otherwise wall of silence. Players can get dropped. Managers will get sacked in this day and age. Chairman messing up are likely to see their team relegated or working out an opportune time to enter administration with regards to the 10-point hit

Referees however are not only protected from criticism with a view to fines being imposed on anyone who steps out of line in front of a camera, but punishment would appear to extend only as far as going on leave for a weekend or dropping down a division for a game. Sometimes not even a real punishment when you consider they would be covering other games regardless

I would remind people that the modern footballer are disgraceful professionals. Referees are surrounded before they even take the whistle out of their mouths for heaven's sake. You would have hoped that between them they could muster enough brain cells to at least have the decency to see what the referee will give

And equally to blame are the fans and TV studios. People protesting ever so loudly, drowning out the other side believing Abidal was treated harshly :lesson:

Sky news sources say FIFA will use 5 referees in every World Cup game.
2 referees will be placed behind each goal.

Such a waste of time. They've tried it in the Europa cup already, it doesn't work in the fact it doesn't make any difference. They even managed to send off the wrong player the other day.

There is only one foolproof solution to this problem (if there is one) & we all know what it is

FIFA have now withdrawn that idea, we're now back to the normal number of officials.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom