Fifa 2008: Online League Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Fantasticlees, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Fantasticlees

Fantasticlees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As its been mentioned in the discussion thread, but nothing come about yet, thought id kick it off.

ok, those interested please add to the thread stating if youd prefer to play premier sides / championship sides then stating which one or as i believe steviebwoy suggested if you think we should play an unknown league so team skill and knowledge of is similar, ie non-existent :)

as mentioned in the other thread id like to dibs arsenal in the premiership or hull city in the championship and steviebwoy im definitely up for a plymouth argyle / hull city grudge match lol. (im up for negotiation if someone else wants one of these sides or perhaps its possible for people to play same side vs the same side)

if majority goes with more unknown leagues, how about US league or japanese (dont know if japanese is in it but might be fun). should we have a poll on it, i dont know.

(eek is this in the right channel-on one side its live related but on the other it was originally mentioned in the games channel under fifa2008-discussion??- please move if ive placed it wrongly)

anyway thought id kick this thread off as nobody else has, to discuss our proposed online league of fifa2008. lets get talking about it :).

ps just to re-iterate ill be pants at it but nevertheless looking forward to playing in Welshbluebird's league.

2. MelodyMae

MelodyMae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yup, count me in. Ive been brought up with Aston Villa blood although im actually an Everton fan. Either of them sides for me would be luvully jubbly.

Should be good this!.:thumbsup:

3. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    nice one - thanks for starting this.

Count me in - definitely. If we are picking English teams, I suppose I would like to go Southampton (my team had George Burley in charge in the good old days). If I can choose any team though I would llike to be Hearts Not bothered though, so I would go any team if anyone supports them, but definitely put me down for the league.
    Cheers again

4. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for making the seperate thread. I was going to do it, but was out last night.
    As I said in the other thread, I'll be going cardiff (unless people want to go MLS teams or something).

edit - just to keep track. so far we have nine people (with their prefered teams listed)

delboyuk2005uk - Liverpool
    Dr Force - ?
    steviebwoy - Plymouth
    Fantasticlees - Hull or Arsenal
    dUnKle - Shrewsbury
    featherhall - Southampton or Hearts
    RizL4 - Tottenham
    Nomis1 - Everton or Aston Villa
    WelshBluebird - Cardiff

We just need to decide now if we what the premiership / championship, or if we want to abandon our teams, and go an unknown league or go teams with equal standings.

Personally, I don't mind, and would happily face Liverpool or arsenal with cardiff lol (have played as cardiff against people playing as Barca and madrid etc on FIFA 07 on the PS2, and didn't do too badly)

5. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    DEFO in its just difficult to decide on team selection etc.Once the game is released we could maybe take teams with the same or similar star rating and stats, regardless of what league they are in;)

6. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I am in liverpool please if its still going, or am up for a league with same skill teams

7. steviebwoy

steviebwoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Cornishman living in Cheltenham, following the mig
    Ratings:
    +267
    Yep, I'll take Plymouth cheeeers! :) Other than that though, happy to go with a league such as the J-League, or maybe the Brazilian league? I think it would be good to all have teams from the same league so there's a bit of variation in the ability of the teams, but not quite the polar extremes of Derby vs Chelsea! Happy either way to be honest :)

8. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,670
    ill play. I was in a FIFA07 league, I am not great and we did a few seasons.

A couple of points you may find useful...

The best way we did this was the league where teams were drawn for you from a number of similar ranked european teams.

The first league we did was where u picked teams and unfortunately ALL football games have far too much advantage for the better teams and the league did not work well until we changed to the above format which worked much better.

Games need to be quite short, which gives weaker players a fighting chance of upsets, but not so short that games are all 0-0 and 1-0. The league also needs to have a short duration....playing everyone twice in big divisions is too slow and loses the excitement. It is better to have shorter seasons and two divisions if you have the numbers.

Cups running at the same time usually detract from the league - its better to have a cup weekend and play the whole cup one week over a couple of days or even a day...

Just my thoughts....

I'll play QPR if we all go rubbish teams :)

Or I prefer using teams from all over europe, so we get a balance....

9. WelshRich

WelshRich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    count me in.

10. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I am intrested, I dont mind being Spurs.

11. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Fantasticlees I am a bit confused, but can someone else pick the same team as someone else, if they enter this league.

12. mpn

mpn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Count me in as Middlesbrough ....... im useless mind .. my 13yr old lad has my life :D but im up for a bit of fun. I dont mind losing ......honest :smashin:

13. Therage79

Therage79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Morning all!!

Where do I sign? I have been waiting ages for a decent online league (and a game that supports them!).

Would prefer to play as Arsenal as I support them..but think the above suggestion of random, relatively even teams is probably the fairest!

Anyway...count me in!

14. Fantasticlees

Fantasticlees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hi tvr_fan
    im not certain myself if you can have the same teams against each other-think you could have in fifa2007 (i didnt get it but was watching the fifa2007 comp on the sky satellite gamer channel thing and i think there was a man u vs man u match but i think that was just set up as one off matches ..hmm thinking about it the league table would look a bit odd..perhaps you cant. lol, i honestly dont know. perhaps welshbluebird knows.

to all
    think a little known league is probably the best option personally or teams from around the world of similar skill rating or maybe a prem / championship league where someone draws teams for each player-as it was his suggestion for the league and he doesnt mind running it, id be happy for welshbluebird to draw the teams-what's others think?

as silvercue has experience with a fifa2007 league i think his league format suggestions sound good of short games, etc..i liked the thought of playing each other twice but if it will make the league go stale then as sc suggested then maybe only once.

to welshbluebird..ah but would you play hull city as cardiff :)

now as i prefer being a peon, i will step into the shadows and leave it to welshbluebird, steviebwoy(as the originators) and silvercue (experience of leagues) to organise....i am looking forward to playing all you guys..hope you take it easy on me, lol.

15. WelshRich

WelshRich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Wouldnt it be better to have your gamertag rather than team name in the league table. And the only fair way is for everyone to play as the same team. Just my thoughts ;)

16. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    If this league will allow more then one person to use the same team and if Fifa 08 will allow two people to play as the same team, can you please put me down as Southampton FC.

Yes, I know someone else has already picked it, but I hope you will allow me to pick Southampton FC, because I support Southampton.

17. RizL4

RizL4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    yes i think its best to play co op what you think

18. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    im in dude
    ill pick either man utd as i support them
    or walsall

19. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    :eek: no way, too scary! :D

Not too sure, I would imagine its possible, but can't say for certain.

I wouldn't mind that - what I will do though (which I think is probably fairer) is PM everyone who have said they want to take part to see what each person would prefer to do. Then we can work it from there.

Updated list (still with preferred teams):

wiser1 - Man Utd or Walsall
    TVR_Fan - Southampton
    Therage79 - Arsenal
    mpn - Middlesbrough
    crazzy kopite - Tottenham
    WelshRich - ?
    silvercue - QPR
    delboyuk2005uk - Liverpool
    Dr Force - ?
    steviebwoy - Plymouth
    Fantasticlees - Hull or Arsenal
    dUnKle - Shrewsbury
    featherhall - Southampton or Hearts
    RizL4 - Tottenham
    Nomis1 - Everton or Aston Villa
    WelshBluebird - Cardiff

One thing that we could do though, is that we go teams who are competing in this years champions league. Then either choose which teams we want to be, or do a random draw. That way, its should be pretty fair.

edit - also, its a pretty good idea to cap it at 20 people, simply because it would probably become a bit too long afterwards

20. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    No probs TVR, you go Southampton. If you stick me down as Hearts (or any other Premiership club) - not bothered at all to be honest.

21. jayd

jayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm in and if possible I'll go Arsenal as I'd feel dirty playing with anyone else.

22. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    Welshy

Put me down for Chelsea/Aston villa

noticed my name was blank mate so I thought I would update.

23. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I didn't pick up on it earlier in the thread, but WelshRich has had a pretty interesting idea. When you play your league match, both players play as the same team. This way, there is no advantage either way (other than your ability on the game).

I think its a pretty good idea, and it doesn't bother me (as I don't really mind what team I go), and those who want to go a team, can still use that team most of the time.

Of course, this will only work if the online league is based on just your gamertag, and not the team you are.

24. steviebwoy

steviebwoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Cornishman living in Cheltenham, following the mig
    Ratings:
    +267
    :) I'll go with the majority at the end of the day, but my preference would be an unknown league. Premiership and Champions League have too many polar clubs - ie. those who are either really really good, or really really bad. And to get a crap club would be really unfair and I'm sure people would get sick of being hammered all the time.

Also, if we all had the same team it would be mind-numbingly boring I think - there needs to be a bit of variety - I'm sick of playing against Chelsea and Barca online all the time.

Personally, I maintain we should go for a smaller league where there are teams and players of similar ability that we may not have come across before - it would then be quite exciting to find a decent system and work out your key players etc. I'd go with either the MLS, the Japanese J-League, or the Ozzie League. That way we're gona learn a bit about a new league, and will have the interest of not knowing who has the best teams/ players etc until we play against them. Much better I reckon :)

25. WelshRich

WelshRich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I wasnt clear in my earlier post. You dont all play with the same team, when you play your league match you and your opponent play with the same team whether that be United or Cardiff or anyone else. Like you've said if you end up having a weak team and your opponent is not only playing with a strong team but is also an excellent player your going to get pummelled.

26. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996

I think that this is the best way personally. Players agree on a time to play, and when online both go the same team. No advantage / No disadvantage. Sounds to me like the best and fairest way. Then report back the score for a league based on gamertags. :thumbsup:
    If, say everyone plays each other twice, then each player can decide on the teams for their (home) game.
    e.g. I would have Hearts v Hearts, and tvr would have Southampton v Southampton.

We could have say a Cup for all our favourite teams after the league or something.

27. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I reckon Premier League and Championship teams will give some interesting battles, because Championship teams can rival Premiership teams if the tactics are right.

Also thank you featherhall.

28. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,670
    That may be true in real life, but it most certainly isn't in any computer football game I have ever played. Only players that are far superior will win with worse teams. The problem is computer games are based on individuals' skills. When you shoot you aim and time it, but what really makes it go in the top corner is the players "shooting ability" - not what you have done.

I don't mind the idea of playing same teams every game, might be worth actually avoiding the superstar teams sometimes too.

I also agree that a cap must be implemented. If you cap at 20 - might be worth doing 2 divs and play each other once (there is no real advantage in home v away). Then you can have promotion/relegation and fast league turnarounds. In long leagues the players way off the pace get fed up. Keep it quick and it's more fun then!

Just my thoughts, though I am happy to play whatever format we adopt.

29. freshvein

freshvein
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    count me in, i'll be any team, if have to choose, i'll be newcastle :thumbsup:

30. Discombobulate

Discombobulate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Not 100% made up my mind if I'm getting FIFA 08 or PES 08. I'll confirm which I'm going to get once I've made a decision.

Put me down for the baggies (West Bromwich Albion) if this is ok.