1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIFA 2002 (XBOX) Disappointed ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by captaindobie, Apr 30, 2002.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    YOU BET !

Bought this on Friday, as i was desperate for a footie game. (as opposed to just being desperate !). What a disappointment. Sure, the game looks great and sounds great. It even plays OK (a touch slow perhaps) but there are absolutely no options in this game !!! You can't create new teams, players or even design your own kits. There is no randomisation of the world cup groups (you have to play the same ones every time, although obviously you can play as a different team). No qualifying games. NOTHING. This game isn't finished, or am I just being cynical ? I have returned my copy and will now wait eagerly for the release of I.S.S. Still, XBOX is a fantastic machine. The best games are yet to come.:p

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Too true !
    I still find myself running around every Sunday afternoon ( i use the term running loosely by the way) with my mates. Of course every one of us could have been a professional player you know. Taught the boy Zidane everything he knows !

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was going to wait for ISS myself but it has been slated by Gamespot and the OXM. Can't decide what to do about FIFA though.

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh dear. I hadn't seen any reviews for I.S.S.
    Looks like i will just have to get into basketball or something.
    If you can find a nice friendly retailer that operates an excellent returns policy then you may want to try FIFA for yourself. I mean most of the games mags did rate it quite highly. It's maybe just me !:clown:

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    The best game of footy by a mile is pro evo soccer on PS2 soon to be followed up by Pro Evo 2 (currently Winning eleven 6 in japan)
    all the rest are either pretty basic knockabouts or in fifa's case totally crapola its game play has barely changed since the mega drive days(who ever saw a football match with orange and red streaks when you passed or shot!!) besides the really poor same old gameplay.If you want DECENT Game of footy either
    1. Buy a PS2
    2.Pray that PES comes out on Xbox which it won't!!

6. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah. Must agree. I have played Pro Evolution on my mates PS2 and it is pretty good. Not good enough, however, to make me want to buy a PS2. I will just have to wait and see what comes out for XBOX. After all, it's early days yet.:eek:

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    You must be hanging about ive never seen a response as quick as that.

In my opinion even at £200 (obviously a desperate act!! after 5 weeks, a sign of fear and weakness? ) i can see no point in getting an xbox the only real original top class game is HALO (and that will be on PC b4 too long!)

to me the Xbox is a Dreamcast rehash (A very underated console and well worth buying for £40! now ive seen it 2nd hand)

PS2 has all the best games for a console and original ones at that
    best footy PES
    best driving GT3 and soon TOCA (PS2 & PC only)
    best adventure Metal G solid 2
    best fighters virtua and tekken
    and loads more to come F355 challenge,alpine racer,deus ex etc

all the top developers will always support ps2 1st as it still totally outsells all the others inc Xbox in America
    ps 2 always gets games 1st as well!!

Until Xbox develops some truly original games instead of all this
    EA crap and old dreamcast/ sega games that aint gonna change.And the X box controller sucks!!

maybe in about a year!!

8. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    its a World Cup Edition..so you get tha. Im sure EA will bring out FIFA 2003 near Xmas which will be have bells on ..the thing I found annoying was on beginner it was 2 easy was winning 10-0..then on Amatuer was loosing 4-0 maybe Im just crap though lol

9. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Hehe. So funny. :D

10. cerberus

cerberus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is F355 Challenge an "original" :confused:

as far as driving games go Project Gotham Racing is about as original as anyone has been with the hole genre for a long time, unless of coarse F355 Challenge has a really "original" idea where you get rewarded for driving with style :D

At the minute the PS2 does have a great number of games, but for most of them that is about as great as they get. And side by side the xbox graphics make a PS2 look like someone has taken their crayons to a TV screen.

I'm about to duck now to try and avoid the barrage that is coming my way :blush:

Tim

11. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Now, now. I didn't want this to descend into a my machine is better than your machine debate !
    Crayons ? That's a bit harsh (but very funny !)
    Side by side the XBOX is streets ahead in terms of potential. Just needs a bit more time.
    Now Gamecube ? Is that any good ??:p

dhughdffhguiahuhahjhjg (sorry that's my cat walking across the keyboard !)

12. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Why does every thread have to resort to this mine is better than yours crap but what the hell here is what I think.
    I bought a ps2 on release day and thought mmmm emotion engine sounds good let us see what will happen.
    Guess what nothing happened it was just sony spinning us a yarn emotion engine my arse the dreamcast had better games so my ps2 gathered dust for the next 12 months.
    Then some goodish games started to appear but nothing special.
    Then I went to the states and while there bought MGS2 and FFX.
    (My ps2 was modded)
    Got home started to play them and whithin 4hours of both games realised that this so called sony super emotion engined 128bit is nothing but a piece of junk.
    Got a import gamecube and wow the release games blew me away super monkey ball is the most fun and addictive game I have ever played.The sound and graphics in Rogue Leader 2 are gobsmacking(great game two).
    Luigis mansion fantastic and original the list goes on.
    What is the GC like it is bloody fantastic and wipes the floor with sonys effort.
    Sold my ps2 got a Xbox WOW amazing in game DD5.1 in every game jaw dropping graphics PGR Halo DOA3 all amazing games and the best in there field.
    The GC and Xbox are so far ahead of ps2 it is untrue.
    Yes sony have a unasailable lead and a year and a half start but the ps2 is pushing it's limits now and GC and Xbox are just starting out.
    Gaming has never been so good you sony zealots stick to your console and I will stick with mine.
    Getting back to the original thread FIFA World Cup is crap do not touch it if you must check it out rent it.
    I have now had my say
    Thank you and goodnight.

13. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the info on the Gamecube.
    You should work for Nintendo, as you make it sound very good indeed.......
    I want to buy one tomorrow now. But, as usual, my bank account will not stretch that far.....

14. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Believe me mate they are that good and when you look at what is coming out in the future?
    Do not let the kiddy look of the console put you off Nintendo are the best and most innovative games makers in the world.
    By the way I think the Xbox is equally as good but you know Nintendo games Droooooooool.

Sell a limb rob a bank do something having A GC sitting beside a Xbox what more can us gamers want.

:D :p :p :p :p :) ;)

15. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people should mature up and answer the question in hand.

Mine is better than yours.Nah Nah Nah Nah:D

16. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I think I did I am sure I said FIFA is crap:mad:

17. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    The blokes talking about footy the best footy game by a long stretch is Pro EVO (only on PS2 for the forseeable future)
    personally i like PC games and footy and driving games .
    therefore PS2 is the only console worth getting at the moment
    Pro EVo, GT3 and the superb F355 challenge (yes I know its a dreamcast port) also toca only PS2 or PC, Wipeout Fusion(PS2 only)

by the time Xbox gets in its stride or game cube come to that,
    sony will release PS3!! which will no doubt make those two look
    like etch a sketch!!GT4 or 5 will be online in broadband
    as will pro evo soccer.

Xbox may have better specs but its old sega racer project gotham formally on dreamcast as MSR cant hold a candle to
    GT3 gameplay wise or graphically.
    remember high specs do not a success make hence N64 demise over the so called inferior PSX1.
    its all about dominance and that brings the best (and yes the worst titles) currently and for the forseeable future PS2 has that dominance and gets the majority of all the best games 1st.

personally i could care less about my console is best etc i earn enough dosh to buy all 3 without a 2nd thought , but apart from halo (which will be on PC soon) and possibly the Game cube starwars game there simply aint any games i want to play on either of those 2 systems at the moment which i cant play on PS2. Also PS2 developers are now at their peak and are producing better games all the time for this system so its a no brainer for me.

Also remember that all 3rd party cross platform games will be made based on PS2 hardware 1st and will then be ported to the other two and later on as well!!

18. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    What GT3 is better than PGR have you actually played PGR.
    Graphically sonically and most importantly playability wise PGR is far far better than GT3.
    You have your opinion I have mine(naturally I am right).
    Wipeout fusion is average at best admitadely PES is very good but I am hoping ISS2 will be good on GC.
    If you are refering to TOCCA race driver it is also confirmed for Xbox and I have already played F355 to death on DC.
    The game I had most fun with on ps2 was Jack and Daxter.
    I to like racing and football games GP4 will demonstrate the raw power the Xbox is capable of.
    I am sure you are very happy with your ps2 but I was not I want the best and the best is not ps2.
    :confused: :D ;)

19. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    sorry but PGR is a tacky MSR remake yes i have played it and it totally lacks the sophisticated handling,variety and sheer excitement of GT3.Every mag backs up what I say as does popular opinion apart from guess what XBOX MAGAZINES!!

ISS2 is coming out on all consoles and guess what it is SO Average according to about every review i have read.
    XBOX is currently for americans only what with all those crappy EA
    american games NHL,NBA,NASCAR etc. and WWF wrestling.

If the games get original and decent and they make a controller designed for a human not a 12inch fingered APE i will buy one.
    Personally i have no brand loyalty whatsoever and could not give a poo about SONY or Nintendo or MICROSOFT.

Like I said the dominant machine is the one to get and that at present is PS2!!

By the way IM RIGHT and YOU are naturally WRONG still that XBOX might make a nice paper weight!! LOL
    I personally think people should get a PS2 and a dreamcast (very underated machine with some superb games and can be bought 2nd hand for £40!)

XBOX might catch on in fact i hope it does but the recent fear induced price cut and lack of 3rd party developers will make it hard for them.I was amazed that Microsoft didnt buy SEGA then they would have had all that know how and games just for XBOX.
    Game cube will do well I think based on v low price point and the whole young kids Mario and Zelda thing.In fact I may get a GC in a few months if better games come out.

I am also looking forward to AUTO MODELISTA a PS2 only game with online facility. Sorry but most XBOX games are just re hashes of old games thus far!!

20. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you made the correct choice in returning fifa as it is balls, and iss is far superior, When the pro evolution version game comes out i am sure you will be more than happy with your purchase.

21. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    PGR a tacky rehash of MSR you rearlly do have clouded vision?
    Here was me thinking GT3 was a original game and not a tacky rehash of GT2.
    The first GT was and still is the best in the series GT3 is so bloody boring give me PGR anyday.
    I do not give a monkeys chuff what mags say the only mag that counts is EDGE and they agree with me?

You say you want original games? and that comes from a ps2 owner you rearlly are flogging a dead horse with that argument.
    If people bought a dreamcast when it was released then sony would not have such a hold on the 128bit market.

Lack of third party developers for Xbox?
    Do you actually know what you are talking about it is made for americans?
    I suggest you do some research before posting on here.

Xbox will be a succes they are one of the richest companys in the world they are not SEGA Atari or 3D0 they will do anything for Xbox to succeed and it will.

Nintendo will also succeed with the superb GC and hopefully stop this hold sony seem to have with the playstation brand name.
    if you want original games the Ps2 is not the machine to buy.

Go and do some research then get back with some relevant points
    ;)

22. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pro evolution is due out on the x box but not for a bit, my mate has just had a converter delivered from japan so that you can use the play station pad on it. now fighting games and tony hawks arent ruined by the ****tness of the xbox pad.

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It beggars belief that the old Speccy is better then the C=64 argument still crops up. At first I thought some on this thread were too young to remember it... then I checked profile birthdays to see I was wrong!

It seems to be getting a bit personal, in addition to some sweeping statements being made at owners of certain consoles. Zealot, moi?

What some people need to remember is that different people like different games, and what one person thinks is the best game ever - everyone else could hate. I think Pro Evo Soccer is one of the best game ever made, but that view will not be held by someone who hates football. I, on the other hand detest Mario and its ilk, which is bound to confound a few million people I'm sure.

Peace & love

24. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    TOCA and Colin McRae 3 are both coming to Xbox as well as PS2 and I know which versions I'll want..;)
    Winning Eleven 6 is without question the best footie game on the planet but wont be out over here until Xmas (as ProEvo2 as some have said)..
    ISS2 is based on the World Soccer games on Jap PS2/GC and is a lovely game but very hard to play. I haven't read any of the reviews over here but have the GC (Jap) version and know how hard it is to get on with..
    Just my opinions..:) mixed with a little bit of fact..;)

25. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    You are clearly incapable of reading , i have clearly stated that
    I DONT GIVE A POO about what console does what, just plain solid facts have a look back and read properly.
    Dont be sore just cos yah wasted yah dosh on an XBOX!! LOL

1.XBOX is so weak already they cut the price after 5 WEEKS!!

2.Edge Magazine has already stated in its console comparsion that the XBOX line up is weak apart from HALO.Edge have also been accused of having a major XBOX bias by many observers

3.Game Cube will do well due to its solid Fan base and low price point

4.PS2 is the machine of choice as the numbers clearly show it still outsells XBOX by miles in every territory

5.The XBOX was a rushed development due to Microsofts fear of SONY taking over due to the online capability of the PS2
    as most people use PC's for going online if they all start doing it with PS2s then no more WINDOWs XP!!
    Hence the PC like structure, Huge size and frankly crap controller , like i said if they improve the games etc and get a new controller i would consider it but now it makes no sense.

6. All those games you think are gonna look spanky on XBOX will
    be designed with PS2 in mind and then PORTED over to XBOX with PS2 type graphics eg SSX tricky.They will come out on PS2 ages before , whose gonna wait that long .

7. By the time XBOX gets into its stride PS3 will come out and blow it away if its still around, simple facts based on current info,sales figures etc A blind man can see this!!

8. Money does not buy you everything !Sadly Microsoft have an awful image with the console gaming populace who think of it as a PC developer and therefore for anoraks and will not buy XBOX.
    PC anoraks think the XBOX is an idiots PC and wont buy one either .In fact what with the new NVIDIA graphics cards XBOX specs are now out of date !!
    How long before an XBOX emulator comes out? with its PC like structure not long i Think

Personally I prefer my PC to most consoles and only play PRO EVO
    and GT3 on a regular basis on it !!Enjoy Halo while you can it may be as good as it gets on XBOX , I'll get it for £30 on PC with a higher powered machine in a couple of months!!

Live long and prosper!!

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For my tupence worth I have to agree with Fuzzy on this one. I was a committed GT fan and bought the PS2 to play GT3. MSR was crepe in comparison

PGR is a totally different experience and IMHO the best and most fun driving game currently on the market.

Only disappointment is that I no longer get the satisfaction of beating a field full of Nissan Micras using an F1 car!;)

27. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    airwise

Thanks for that mate I was beggining to think I was alone ?

28. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The first GT was and still is the best in the series GT3 is so bloody boring give me PGR anyday. "

I'm glad someone agrees with me on that one!!!!

I own both a PS2 and Xbox and Halo is a much better game than anything the PS2 has to offer at the moment (and its a launch title)

Please remember it took Sony a year to get any decent titles out on PS2, at least the XBox had one true classic available at launch.

Microsoft did the smart thing and quickly cut the price when it was apparent people weren't willing to pay £300 for a console, as long as the userbase is there developers will develop for it, especially as its a much easier system to develop on.

That said, Sony's lead will be hard to overtake but don't expect to see PS3 anytime soon, I don't think many PS2 owners would be very happy with Sony if they had to throw their console out after a couple of years, and Microsoft ain't Sega they've got the financial muscle to ensure the XBox sticks around.

It'll be an interesting battle, unfortunately I don't know anything about the GameCube but there seem to be some decent titles so I might have a look at that as well.

29. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    filopastry25

I agree with every word you have said but let me give you a bit of advise.
    GET A GAMECUBE they are amazing.

30. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    XBOX's best and only truly decent game is coming out on PC for £30 soon and will be fully online capable.All the rest are just updates and upgrades.

Its specs will are already out of date and are now the level of an entry level /medium spec PC.

Because most of the developers make games that
    appear on all platforms for PS2 first they will have PS2 level graphics as is already apparent .

Consoles have short life spans of about 4-5 years .
    By the time XBOX starts to gather any pace SONY (as has been reported already) will announce PS3 (approx 18 months time) with super specs that will stop any Xbox progress dead in its tracks.

Still if you want a £200 paperweight (DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!)

I will buy an Xbox when its price drops to £50 err in about 2months!!