Fifa 08 PS2 v PS3. Is it a good upgrade?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by simon1967, Jun 11, 2008.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hey guys and gals,
    been a big fan of footie games on the PS2 - the majority from the Pro Evo Series. Difficult at first - especially shooting and trying to keep the ball out fo the stands. Unfortunately, two small children means I didn't get to play as often as I like but just lately, my 5 year has gone football mad so that's all the excuse I need to spend some 'quality time' with my son ;)

Now, we've recently got a PS3 and been dusting off the old PS2 versions od Pro Evo. Never really liked the previous FIFA versions (primarily because the default shoot and pass buttons were in different positions and couldn't be bothered to retrain my mind - so stuck with Pro Evo). I've since found out that you can change the configurations so that is no longer a problem.

Anyway, my son got bought a PS2 copy of FIFA 08 which I've really enjoyed. Shooting seems a bit easier and the free kicks are much closer to the goal than they ever were in Pro Evo ... so I've been converted (sort of).

So I start looking for a PS3 football game - it seems that FIFA is much more liked in the reviews and that Pro Evo is much better in the PS2 versions. So bsed on the favourable reviews, I downloaded the demo expecting great things but I didn't like it. Is it me or are all the players running on treacle?? I know that this 'probably' encourages more realistic gameplay so you can't just kick and run but for 'playability' , I much preferred the PS2 version.

So to cut a long story short, should I ignore the demo and get it anyway on the basis that it is much better than the demo? Or for fun factor, just get Pro Evo (whose demo, I did quite enjoy but think I would miss the authenticity of the actual names and players - try explaining that to a 5 year old why Manchester United are called Old Brick Reds or whatever they are called!)

Thanks for any advice given and I did read through the reviews but am still confused.

Cheers

Simon

2. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,343
    Give UEFA demo a go. I dont like FIFA08 but like the UEFA one and yes I was a total Pro Evo fan.

3. HRF1T2007

HRF1T2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Disagree here I love FIFA 08 a great step in the right direction of a football sim EURO is way to arcade for me you can run the whole length of the pitch and score very bad in my opinion and unlike real football too many 6-0 wins against good oposition

FIFA 08 is the way to go or wait till Sept and get FIFA 09

4. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The videos look good but I think the fact that it only has countries and not club teams so would rule it out for this household. Even though my 5 year old can read a little bit, he recognises the badges. He was playing Charlton in the FA Cup last week and asked how he knew it was Charlton. He said he recognised the swords in the badge!! Learner reader, veteran PS2/PS3 gamer!

Thanks for the heads-up though and having said that, I'll probably download the demo.

5. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The main thing that I noticed is that the players seemed a lot slower and it seemed to be harder to hold onto the ball. That said, that may be down to my rubbish skills as opposed to the game play. Definitely seemed to be a lot slower which surprised me as I thought it would be like the PS2 version but with better graphics?

6. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,343
    I do think its best to wait for 09 as you say.
    I prefer the slightly more arcade approach in UEFA I just found 08 a little to slow and frustrating when the players don't react. It looks like one of us will be a little disappointed with 09, which way will it go :D

7. HRF1T2007

HRF1T2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Looking at the FIFA forums the are some scans of the game hands on and Q&A with Rutter etc
    They say the game has been improved in response and all areas including animation one thing for sure which is good they have remained faithful in the speed of FIFA 08 and FIFA 09 to be the same

I suppose it's down to the style of footblall you play, this years version promises personal tactics and formations a revolutional system apparently, along with the tweaks in response and AI runs etc which will mean you cn play a fast game if you want against a team that likes to build up play

I like in FIFA 08 the realistic results, the old FIFA games including EURO 2008 were run and score games, although fun and i used to love them, i have been converted by FIFA 08 and the road they have tried to go with the SIM side which many old Fans of FIFA have been trying to implore EA to use, and ditch the 6-0 wins against Man Utd with Northampton town, the game rewards you for learning to play and making the chances and braking down the defence INMO