Fiesta 1.6tdci birds under the bonnet

FZR400RRSP

Banned
The wife's fiesta 1.6tdci has turned into something that sounds like an aviary at tickover.
Still under warranty.
Whats the most likely cause of the tweet/squeak at idle?

car-man

Had this many times....the copper injector seals are leaking at the bottom of the injectors, the one nearest the timing belt is favourite.

Sometimes you can do a quick fix by GENTLY levering on the injector with the engine running.

Check for a diesel leak around the injectors, sometimes you get a leak as well.....not so easy to see but a pen torch works well.

joelk2

Distinguished Member
has exactly the same happen to my d fezza. injector seals needed re-doing. had a deisel smell accopmany it also. mk5 fiestas are a pain to replace.

sold that and bought a cmax and had the same happen. much easier on the cmax to replace thoguh.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I've yet to book it in, but I noticed several other sources say the noise can come from the 'serpentine belt'.
I must admit my first guess was it is a belt/pulley squeak.
I'll report back when fixed.

car-man

I've yet to book it in, but I noticed several other sources say the noise can come from the 'serpentine belt'.
I must admit my first guess was it is a belt/pulley squeak.
I'll report back when fixed.

Squirt WD40 onto the belt and see (hear) if the noise goes away.

car-man

has exactly the same happen to my d fezza. injector seals needed re-doing. had a deisel smell accopmany it also. mk5 fiestas are a pain to replace.

sold that and bought a cmax and had the same happen. much easier on the cmax to replace thoguh.

Done loads of these, very common, irritating problem, I'm sick of doing them to be honest.

The diesel smell is usually a leak from the injector leak-off pipes.

car-man

Update.
They say it's the alternator belt, costing me £90 to fix it (not warranty).
I camer across a video from another Ford owner which perfectly illustrates what we were getting.

Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi high squeak sound when idle - TalkFord.com

Ah, not quite the same as the noise I was thinking, although the injector noise is similar but higher up on the engine.

I have a Citroen Dispatch van to look at tomorrow with exactly the same noise.
I changedf the fan belt 3 weeks ago which appeared to fix it (it had a new belt and tensioner at the dealers last year) but now the noise has returned.

The belt was only £10 and 30 minutes to fit.

I suspect the alternator pulley in this instance.

Andyh4324

Have they checked the EGR valve isn't sticking? Was sticking on my dad's van which made a similar noise. But the noise continued for a few seconds after switching the engine off too.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Christ on a bike, I went to pick the car up, started it and the loud squeak is still there.
To his credit, the service manager was embarrassed and apologetic that a mechanic can try and pass it off as fixed.
Back in tomorrow, see what really needs fixed/replaced.
Obviously I will be seeking a refund on £93 of work that made no difference....

car-man

Well, for what it's worth, I started the Citroen van job friday afternoon.

Took off the alternator (sod of a job, can't get at the bolts) took it to my alternator reconditioning mate of mine, no fault with pulley, tried to fit it back on but couldn't get the bolts back in so removed the tensioner and guide pulley to test them....both pulleys noisy and tensioner didn't feel right so ordered both items.

Went back today to fit the new parts and refit alternator (got the bolts in after massive struggles) after fitting the belt I started the van but the noise was still there....I sat for a while watching the pulleys go round and noticed the noise moving from pulley to pulley so removed the belt again and went to the factors to check the part number....guess what? The belt was the wrong one that the dealer had fitted, too big, I had compounded the problem by fitting a new one based on the part number on the belt the dealer fitted.

After fitting the correct belt the noise vanished!

Sorry to waffle about this, but I just wanted to give an insight into the fact that fitting a new belt doesn't always mean the solution to a noise and that trying to diagnose a problem sometimes isn't as straightforward as it may seem.

Forgot to mention, the cost of a tensioner, new guide pulley, and new belt came to £55 (trade price, best quality Gates parts)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom