Field sequential 3D with a DLP projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Catman, May 1, 2007.

1. Catman

Catman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an interest in field sequential 3D movies (LCD shutter glasses). I have always thought that this technology would only work with CRT televisions or projectors. However, I have recently found out that this technology will work with some DLP projectors, has anyone ever tried this?
    I have an Optoma H30A (with 3300 hours on the same lamp). I have mailed Optoma about this, but they are of little use.:confused:

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Apparently not!

This is a quote from a field sequential 3D site:

"Individuals who want to watch 3D videos can use a standard CRT monitor and electronic shutter glasses. Computer monitors offer high refresh rates, but this technique can work on a normal NTSC television as well. Typically a field sequential video tape or DVD is used. The field sequential format stores left eye images on even video fields and right eye images on odd video fields (sometimes it can be the other way around). The shutter glasses reveal the appropriate image to each eye in rapid succession creating the illusion of a 3D image. This can be a low cost technique for small numbers of simultaneous viewers, but has many limitations in terms of resolution, frame rate and audience size. Inexpensive shutter glasses are available from many sources, but be aware that this technology does not work with most plasma, LCD or DLP type televisions."

See: http://www.21stcentury3d.com/faq.html

Sorry! :(

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    3D regularly rears its head as a 'the future of tv/cinema'.

I just don't see any future for it at all.

It's great for the odd viewing (I liked IMAX 'Space Station' and 'Shark' in 3D), but ultimately it's necessarily gimmicky.

Nonethless, if the odd 3D experience is required, then fair enough.

I'd certainly watch those 2 IMAX 3D shows on my PJ.

Steve W

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    There are some 100-120hz projectors out there, infocus produced a special variant of the x1 i think just for this purpose. Any display that can do 100hz+ should be suitable for this, super low latency lcd's may work too.

I myself am tempted to get hold of a second normal x1 and do 3d that way, who sells the software though (for any type of 3d)?

5. Catman

Catman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read that some time ago Oakleypatz, but I have now come across this website www.3d.curtin.edu.au/3dmovies/projectors, which says that some DLP projectors can be used - and gives a list. Unfortunately, my pj is not in the list - yet! :confused:

6. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Linky broken

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: