1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiddling with rear speaker positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by StuartBooth, Nov 7, 2000.

1. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonight I started moving my rear speakers around the room whilst listening to The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over.

I'd had them behind me, directly in line with the front pair, pointing directly at the screen.

Then I tried them as so many diagrams have them, even the A10SE's setup screen, pointing in at right angles to the listening position.

This seemed to overwhelming an effect so I returned them to behind and inline with the fronts, but toe-ed in towards the listening position, which seemed pretty good to me.

I'm going to try the 3 positions with an action movie, likely Pitch Black, tomorrow evening to see how they cope b/w action and multi-channel music. Perhaps there's a different position that's 'best' for each type.

What sort of positioning does anybody else find they prefer?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been playing with the position of my rear speakers lately too. I used to have them either side of me (about one foot behind the listeneing position) and at ear level (not ideal but I intend to chnage that shortly). They were facing directly towards the listening position and, even though the effect was impressive, it was too 'in yer face' for my liking.

So...I changed the angle of the rears so they were angled away from me and were facing teh rear walls (there is a space of about six feet behind the listening position), they now seem much more diffuse and not as located as they used to be. The sound is not as 'big' is that makes sense, but it sounds much more realistic than before.....it just looks a bit silly with two speakers facing the centre of the rear wall..lol

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk