Fiddling with other people's set ups!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by LivingForever, Sep 8, 2007.

1. LivingForever

LivingForever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Went round a friend's house today, he's just moved into his own flat and he had a bit of cash to splash. He'd been to Curry's and they'd sold him a 32" Philips LCD (not a cheap one either), a freeview box with HDMI upscaling and a lovely looking Sony DVD recorder, again with 1080p HDMI upscaling.

Looked nice, sitting in the corner so I put it on to take a look (to my wife's embarassment I'm sure!) - the picture was, I'm not kidding, the worst I've seen on any TV, the Freeview and DVD both looked like badly tuned in RF feeds.

Went to have a look at the connections and both were connected to the TV with the thinnest scart leads I have ever seen, Poundland possibly!

Nipped across to Woolies, picked up a £10 HDMI lead and connected up the Freeview, was like night and day, our friend was very pleased with the improvement!

So, I guess I have two questions - do you fiddle with other people's setups?

And do retailers have a responsibility when they sell you over a grand's worth of kit to make sure they tell you how to set it up properly?

James

2. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Im suprised they didnt try and sell him a hdmi cable for a few hundred quid and some digital audio cables for silly money as well. when ever i see people buy stuff from places like comet i get ****** of with how they take advantage of the customers. i worked selling electrical equipment for 3 years and not once did i give bad advice or try and rip someone off with a cable or a tv or similer you should sell them what they need and no more.

I was in a place the other day and there was this old couple looking at buying a stupidly expensive sony 1080p tv i think it was a 37" and then the salesman progressed onto selling them a expensive stand, expensive cables blu-ray player and surround sound. i walked over whilst he tryed to sort out another customer and put them straight about how they wouldnt need 1080p and that the cable he was trying to sell them was over inflatted and they could get better else where and they thanked me and said that was very nice of you to let us know and it's shame people in these places cant be more honest all we wanted was a tv to watch videos and sky tv on. I couldnt beleave this salesman was about to rip these OAP's of with about 4000 pounds worth of equipment they wouldnt ever use.

and to your first question yes i do fiddle with other people's equipment. and when i say equipment i mean av gear.

3. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The last time I tried to do this the couple who I 'advised' said "oh yes, thanks very much, that's good to know" and then proceeded to buy the kit the salesman was trying to sell them anyway (some awful overpriced 52" rear projection thing with some matching speakers).

Short answer is, people still tend to think the salesmen are right, even when you try and tell them otherwise.

I've given up (and generally don't go anywhere near Comet or Currys or wherever any more), after all, they say a fool and his money are soon parted... people should to their homework.

Am I jaded?

4. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I worked for Currys 15 years ago and while the wifes trying on shoes or hats or whatever I'll usually dive into the nearest shop with the big TV's to kill time and of course you overhear some absolute rubbish being put forwards as fact. Mostly this is through lacking of product knowledge rather than an intent to defraud but it's still lamentable. Buyer beware is still the first rule of shopping.

Firstly is the basic understanding that the salesmans job is to get the them to buy the biggest most expensive thing that they (or their family) is not going to bring back within the return period and then to sell the most amount of things possible to go with it. The only thing that counts is what goes in the till.

If the people can't afford it (sell finance) or never use it again is not his concern and he's not doing his job well if he hold back because he feels this might be the case.

It's still the case that most people buy what 'they like the look of' in the shop rather than doing any serious reading up on the goods; which when its a £2000 package is galling but if its not coming out of my pocket why should I care either - chances are when they get it home they'll hook it up badly and run the settings from the box. Go figure.

Yes - I'm an unauthorised picture improver and am known for it amongst family and friends although my hat is off to the OP! I've never spent my own money on someone elses picture -although I have lent cables until they've got their own. I find far more cups of tea are forthcoming when you tune their 5.1 setup and I am in the process of reviving an old laptop to do room equalisation.

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    My girlfriend babysits for a more money than sense family who have a rather nice 46" Sony LCD which the settings had obviously never been looked at.

I wonder if it still has my revised settings on it which drasically improved the picture from its overly bright, undetalied mess.