Fibre Optic

superblue

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys, here's the thing, i'm upgrading to Fibre Optic with EE, i'm already a customer & my line can now handle 61.8mb, i used to get 1.5mb max! Openreach are coming to my house in about 3 weeks to set this up. Currently i have my PC upstairs connected to my router, it's connected to the router with ethernet & the phone lne is connected into a BT extension socket.
I've been told that Fibre needs to be connected to the main socket [which is downstairs], this won't be a problem as i can take the router downstairs & set it beside the Openreach Fibre box & a mains socket, the problem i then have is getting the 61mb to my PC upstairs, would these help? Also would i get the super fast speed to my PC with these? Any tips would help, the wife doesnt want a loooong data cable runing from the main socket upsatirs :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005KTM2G6/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The fibre optic cable terminates in the green box in the street. From there you are connected by copper wire . What speed you actually get depends somewhat on how far you are from the green box.

I cannot see therefore that position of the termination in your house will make a jot of difference.

Surely EE will provide you with a high speed wireless router to connect to the termination?? Using this you should get the connection speed anywhere in the house.

How do you know you will get 61.8mbps??

Last edited:
I'm about 300 yards from the green cabinet, is there a reason that the engineer has to go to the main phone socket rather than the extension phone socket I have in my spare room upstairs? The package I've signed up to is up to 76mb, my line is capable of 61.8mb. I will be using their Brightbox router which I already have. My PC does not have a wireless card built & I don't want to use a dongle, I was thinking of these & wondered if they were any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA251KIT...F8&qid=1382726627&sr=8-2&keywords=Tp+link+251

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm about 300 yards from the green cabinet, is there a reason that the engineer has to go to the main phone socket rather than the extension phone socket I have in my spare room upstairs?

I am guessing that this is due to the the cabling to the main phone socket being a BT "Full spec" whereas the extension is possibly only a 2/3 core cable?

But really don't know! With a wireless router the extension becomes redundant except as a telephone extension anyway?

The installer is supposed to put the VDSL socket where you want it, with thirty metres of the existing Master socket. Some contractors will try to avoid doing this, because they are paid per job, and so you may need to be FIRM.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom