Fibre Optic HDMI

Dre

Established Member
Reaction score
I need help - literally!

I have just installed a TV in the kitchen diner has been pre wired from Sky box in another room with a fibre optic HDMI - brand unknown - theres also a shorter cable in another room again Fibre optic.

The run to the kitchen TV is about 15m, I believe the cable is approx 20m based on the amount at each end. When I connect the Sky box I get initial screen for startup (Sky box is initialising etc) however once this is done I get no picture, the cable in the other room works fine.

I would have understood if I didn't get anything, but I get the initialising screen so the cable does work but then no picture?

Please can someone help?

Have you tried the Sky box on another cable/tv to make sure it goes through the whole process.

Yes. Tried another tv with the same cable - no joy. Tried another cable to the box and works fine. So definitely a cable issue but what throws me is that when the sky box is initialising I get the initialising screen on the TV via the same cable?

Is the cable in a conduit and what is the other cable? Did the installer install a fiber only or a hybrid fiber cable?

Is the cable in a conduit and what is the other cable? Did the installer install a fiber only or a hybrid fiber cable?
Its a hybrid cable, its in a conduit with a CAT6 and Coax. I know I can use the CAT6 with the appropriate balun but just bemused with the HDMI as this would obviously be the easiest.

Was the cable tested prior to installation? If not, it could have been damaged during the installation, which is not uncommon if the installation is done wrong or not with care. Solid core, UTP CAT-6 (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated ethernet patch) cable and be used if terminated with HDBT but you should read up on what's current as far as HDBT goes.

20m is within the range of hybrid fiber but if there are sharp bends, wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between that can and will affect signal propagation.

I hear you...but why do I get the initialising screen but no picture? Doesn’t that show it is a working cable?

Which SKY Box do you have?

Try forcing the SKY box to a lower resolution and assuming you get an image try stepping up through the available options.

You need to find out which Fibre cable has been used - esp. if you have SKY Q.

Joe

I hear you...but why do I get the initialising screen but no picture? Doesn’t that show it is a working cable?
No. If it was a "working" cable then you would get a signal with no issues. Try what @Joe Fernand suggested.

Which SKY Box do you have?

Try forcing the SKY box to a lower resolution and assuming you get an image try stepping up through the available options.

You need to find out which Fibre cable has been used - esp. if you have SKY Q.

Joe
So no joy at 576. Im still perplexed as to why I get the initialising screen? The brand of cable is FEIZLINK (the 10m is working, the 20m is not)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom