Question Fibre Optic HDMI vs Standard HDMI

Flyboy583

Hi All,

Just a quick question as I seem to be getting conflicting info courtesy fo Google..

I will be running an HDMI cable to my Projector as part of my build. Distance from equipment to Projector conservatively will be in the region of 6 - 7M

What I am trying to achieve is to ensure I use the correct quality cable that will future proof myself. (4K / 8K ect)

There seems to be a suggestion for distances greater than 5M I should use a Fibre Optic HDMI cable?

Cold I just ask for some clarity and advice here? Should I invest in a Fibre Optic cable? Will the added cost provide ultimately benefit?

And lastly, any suggestions on what type of cable (Fibre Optic / Normal HDMI / specific manufacturer?) I should consider buying?

Thanks in advance!

mushii

Distinguished Member
The only thing that is future proof is ducting - to pull new cables as necessary. The rest is best guess on how long the cable will last before it eventually fails / becomes redundant. The maximum length for a passive Premium Certified High Speed (HDMI) Cable is 7.5 metres, although most people leave a little safety margin at 7m. Beyond that the common consensus is that it is wise to use Hybrid Fibre HDMI Cables. The cable of choice for most AV Forum members is RuiPro Hybrid Fibre. RuiPro have recently produced an '8K' capable Hybrid cable, which if I was installing without a duct / conduit would be my current choice.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As above ensure any long cable you install is easily replaced - they can be damaged, fail or become obsolete.

Solid core, non-CCA/CCS, CAT6 is another 'backup' that would allow you to add a suitable set of Extenders in future if required.

For 4K UHD with HDR you are at the point where the cable market splits between Certified Premium High Speed and non-certified active cables, Hybrid Fibre being the most stable 'active' solution.

For 8K you are too long for Ultra High Speed Certified cables so a non certified Hybrid Fibre is again the best option - though it is very early days with that market.

If you go with an 'active' solution try and test the cable with your kit before you 'install' the cable to ensure the kit is compatible with the cable.

Joe

Otto Pylot

Excellent advice from @mushii and @Joe Fernand. I might add that the most reliable connection, especially for 4k HDR is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between.

Flyboy583

Thank you kindly @mushii @Joe Fernand @Otto Pylot for your comments on this topic.

So just a couple of up[dated based on your questions.

I will have "ducking" and even not completely straightforward, can remove and re install cables should I need.

My current setup has Benq 1070 1080p HD projector but this will be the first item I am upgrading over the next coming months so it makes sense to purchase a cable in preparation.

Based on the suggestions here and revie3ws ect, I have opted to purchase the Ruipro Fibre HDMI and will go for the 10M.

@Otto Pylot again, thank you for your suggestion and I will definitely run the cable form projector to the source.

Kindest Regards

Leon

mushii

Distinguished Member
Worth noting that sometimes the RuiPros need a small power injector when used with projectors as the HDMI ports don’t always provide enough power for the active circuitry. @Joe Fernand or @Otto Pylot can advise you better if you need one.

Flyboy583

Worth noting that sometimes the RuiPros need a small power injector when used with projectors as the HDMI ports don’t always provide enough power for the active circuitry. @Joe Fernand or @Otto Pylot can advise you better if you need one.
Thanks for that @mushii. You are now going into realms that I don't understand 😳 so will wait for some advice from the cable gods... aka @Otto Pylot and @Joe Fernand

Will hold off ordering until I have some clarity as its a fairly expensive cable!

Otto Pylot

The Ruipro cables should come with a power inserter. It's a small dongle that is connected to the HDMI port and then the HDMI cable. It delivers a consistent 5v/500mA current to the active cable and is powered by a USB connection. Ruipro's power inserter has a 17" or so USB cable so you can connect it to either an open USB port on the receiver or tv or connect to a wall adapter. Most of the time the inserter is connected at the source end but you can connect it to the sink side. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees ☹ so all you can do is try. Very careful installation is your first priority, and do test the cable out on the floor prior to installation. Let us know how it goes.

Flyboy583

Thanks, @Otto Pylot. Will definitely check the functionality prior to use. Appreciate your update and will report back once I receive the cable. :thumbsup:

The Ruipro cables should come with a power inserter. It's a small dongle that is connected to the HDMI port and then the HDMI cable. It delivers a consistent 5v/500mA current to the active cable and is powered by a USB connection. Ruipro's power inserter has a 17" or so USB cable so you can connect it to either an open USB port on the receiver or tv or connect to a wall adapter. Most of the time the inserter is connected at the source end but you can connect it to the sink side. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees ☹ so all you can do is try. Very careful installation is your first priority, and do test the cable out on the floor prior to installation. Let us know how it goes.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'The Ruipro cables should come with a power inserter' - not the norm and unless something has changed recently the voltage inserter is an optional extra, which makes sense as it would be pretty wasteful as 99.9% of installs do not require the power inserter.

As mentioned earlier the RuiPro cables are directional - Sink (Source or AVR) to Display and clearly marked on the HDMI hoods.

Joe

Flyboy583

Much appreciated all.

Cable ordered :)

FlakeMeister

Standard Member
Hey just to advise, I’ve just posted a Ruipro 7m optical HDMI in the Television Classifieds after recommendations from people on here.
It won’t reach my Apple TV 4K now I need to bury in the wall so it’s brand new and boxed still.
I’m ordering a 15m.
Just incase anyone wants one with a discount.

Otto Pylot

Hey just to advise, I’ve just posted a Ruipro 7m optical HDMI in the Television Classifieds after recommendations from people on here.
It won’t reach my Apple TV 4K now I need to bury in the wall so it’s brand new and boxed still.
I’m ordering a 15m.
Just incase anyone wants one with a discount.
If you do an in-wall installation, make sure you install a conduit if at all possible because that will make the cable pull so much safer and easier. Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof. DO NOT pull the cable from the connector ends. Pull from the body of the cable and secure the connector ends from bending back on itself when pulling around corners and be mindful of bend radius (no sharp, 90º bends). And do not use any wall plates, adapters, or extenders etc in-between. Pass through or brush plates is what is recommended for cable ingress/egress.

FlakeMeister

Standard Member
Yea for sure, I never used the cable as I did the trial with string and found out my calculations were not great! Marvellous!
Still for sale.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom