Fibre optic HDMI quality to JVC X7900?

(GTV)Chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi.
My 10 meter fibre optic cable recently failed after two years. I had my JVC calibrated and it looked amazing. I’ve bought another cable for half the price. It does all the 4K HDR stuff and it works.
But I can’t help but think the image looks different? So, to me it looks brighter and not as deep, not as filmic. Is this just my mad brain doing this….. is it possible that it could be different…. Or is a signal a signal and it’s the same?
I feed the JVC via my Denon amp, and Apple TV 4K is the source.
I’d be interested to know your opinions.
Best wishes
Chris.

Hi.
My 10 meter fibre optic cable recently failed after two years. I had my JVC calibrated and it looked amazing. I’ve bought another cable for half the price. It does all the 4K HDR stuff and it works.
But I can’t help but think the image looks different? So, to me it looks brighter and not as deep, not as filmic. Is this just my mad brain doing this….. is it possible that it could be different…. Or is a signal a signal and it’s the same?
I feed the JVC via my Denon amp, and Apple TV 4K is the source.
I’d be interested to know your opinions.
Best wishes
Chris.
Difficult one, we’re you actually thinking about if the picture might look different at the time of testing it ?, if so we’re you thinking about the 50% less cost from your original ?.
they say if an hdmi cable works it can’t be any better or worse than another only in build quality. If you can’t get over it I would bet the bullet and purchase the same cable as you had before so you can compare.

Upvote 0
It’s a tough one, but I think you could be correct in thinking I may have thought a cheaper one wouldn’t be as good. But as you’ve pointed out, I’d also read about if it works it should be all ok. Apple TV tested the cable and gave it the thumbs up.
It’s really odd though. I may move the ATV closer and use another cable for comparison :)

Upvote 0
Ok, so I’ve attached a smaller different cable and my thoughts turned out to be true. With another cable the scene is more rich and darker. With the new cable it’s brighter, only by a small degree, but enough for me to notice it. So the new image is flatter, if that makes sense?
I knew I could see a difference. I thought I was going mad. I used several dark scenes scenes to gauge it by and checked the amount of detail I could see in the darks. I can see more detail in the darks with the new cable, but it’s a little like it’s been graded lighter.
Could this be something on the amplifier that I need to tweak?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I’ve attached a smaller different cable and my thoughts turned out to be true. With another cable the scene is more rich and darker. With the new cable it’s brighter, only by a small degree, but enough for me to notice it. So the new image is flatter, if that makes sense?
I knew I could see a difference. I thought I was going mad. I used several dark scenes scenes to gauge it by and checked the amount of detail I could see in the darks. I can see more detail in the darks with the new cable, but it’s a little like it’s been graded lighter.
Could this be something on the amplifier that I need to tweak?
It shouldn't have anything to do with the amp, I would return the cable and go for the original if you can still buy it new ?. May I ask what the two brands are ?.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't have anything to do with the amp, I would return the cable and go for the original if you can still buy it new ?. May I ask what the two brands are ?.
The original is 10 meter IBRA fibre optic at £97
My newer one is ATZEBE 10 meter fibre optic.
Bought both on Amazon.

Upvote 0
The original is 10 meter IBRA fibre optic at £97
My newer one is ATZEBE 10 meter fibre optic.
Bought both on Amazon.
I’ve heard of both but not used them, my 15m is a Ruipro, not cheap but has been fine so far.

Upvote 0
Mine is Ruipro as well, I checked it against a short cable when I put it in and was the same.
A believe a few people use those Atzebe cables, might be worth them checking. I wonder what it’s doing to the signal? Have you got any calibration gear?

Upvote 0
Mine is Ruipro as well, I checked it against a short cable when I put it in and was the same.
A believe a few people use those Atzebe cables, might be worth them checking. I wonder what it’s doing to the signal? Have you got any calibration gear?
Unfortunately not. Jules calibrated it for me in March. I guess the best way forward is to get the original cable again, at least it will be built the same way. I also checked it with the below lead and again the image looked more punchy, whilst the new lead looked brighter. It's really odd. I wish I had two ATV's to switch between. However the projector always takes an age switching over.

UGREEN HDMI 2.1 Cable 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz 48Gbps Ultra High Speed eARC Dolby Vision HDR10+ UHD HDCP 2.2 Male Lead.

Upvote 0
Unless one cable can’t pass full bandwidth forcing the source or something along way to drop signal bank ?

I’d return the cable if thinking effecting things

If have apple tv can run the cable test. If both cable pass the same … not sure what else might be going on ?

Upvote 0
It's really odd. Me and my son watched the Witcher on Netflix this evening and a few minutes into the show the picture suddenly changed, it went a little darker, like someone had flicked a switch?
It was a better image, so I wasn't complaining, but there is obviously something amiss with the cable, or the signal.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom