Fibre optic hdmi and earc

the mozza

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm moving my amp and need 5-6m of hdmi cable (might get away with 5m). I assume i need fibre optic for 8k, If so I am confused whether fibre optic does earc. I will have one cable running from amp to TV and watch a bit in TV Amos so want the earc to work.

'Fibre Optic' HDMI comes in a fair few variations so ensure you look for specific 'feature' support in any cable you are considering, don't assume any feature is covered by a design you are considering.

Most of the 'Fibre' cables you see in the Residential market are 'Hybrid Fibre' - they retain some copper wires for the Comms channels and tend to not include an external power source as standard.

The majority of currently available 'Fibre' HDMI cables are specified for 4K UHD with HDR and Atmos - '8K' will either cost you a fair bit extra or be prepared for entering into 'untested' waters once you actually have some '8K' content and hardware to test with.

Whichever cable you go with ensure it can be easily replaced as cables can fail, be damaged or become obsolete.

At 5m you could consider an Ultra High Speed Certified Copper cable!

Joe

Hi Joe, great advice to ensure cables are easily replaced . Unfortunately I didn’t do that and now have a projector tv set up where the hdmi cables are limited to 1080p. the cables are buried in a wall so upgrading them is going to be expensive . I have an unused cat 6 cable running alongside the hdmi , can I use it as am alternative to the hdmi to transmit 4K Apple TV content a tv and sound bar ?

Assuming it’s not simpler to move the ATV 4K or simply add a second ATV 4K you can look at an HDMI over CAT Extender - Extenders based around the HDBT chipset offer the least image compression for 4K signals.

Joe

PS If you are not in the same room as the ATV 4K control is going to be an issue as the Extenders only offer IR back to the Source.

Thanks Joe. 2017-Back of my room I have JVC projector with signal sources 4K apple and freesat .From the back of the room -Via an hdmi switch- I ran long hdmi, optical and cat 6 cables (unused) to the tv and Sonos playbar at the front of the room.The projector screen comes down in front of the Tv. The optical cable delivers the extracted audio to the sound bar . The TV had it’s own 4K source So only 1080p freesat over the hdmi .This 5.1 Sonos system has worked perfectly since 2017, everything voice controlled .
2021-tThis year I’ve upgraded the TV to LG C1 and Sonos ARC-love the Dolby Atmos from the TV and the eArc functionality. Problem is how do I get atmos when the projector is switched on? 5.1 works well over the optical as before . I say works well it sounds brilliant but I have to change input cables into the sound bar when switching from tv to projector. . Is the CAT extender the answer , can I use it to deliver eArc Dolby atmos to the sound bar? Can I feed the cat extender into the tv, using to as a switch, turn the tv screen off -energy saving mode? Do I need a HD Fury Arcana? Any pointers appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom