Fibre Optic Cabling

kstone

Established Member
Reaction score
Out of interest is anyone deploying Fibre cable in their installs?

- I'm from the Fibre Industry and we are now getting more involved in Domestic Singlemode Installations / a far cry from where fibre was being deployed just a few years back.

Sat/Terrestrial/DAB
HDMI
Data

Is this something that installers are keeping an Eye on?

yes 90% of our jobs now we are putting in multimode om3 for distrubuting hd video using the crestron DM system.

Normally use corning cable and unicam connectors which we terminate ourselves. We spent alot of time last year researching testers and patchbays ect

Fibre video is really amazing i'm told by crestron that it has a super low latency and only loses a max of 4 frames

Sounds good, fibre is an excellent choice for next generation transmission.

We're also seeing a demand for field term connectors.
It gives quite a bit more flexibility for terminating to length (you may want to consider Mech splices too, they are more cost effective).

SC SWIFT Fibre Terminations

For SAT/Data distribution we are generally using Singlemode now.
You can do a bit more with it with regards to bandwidth & we can use a 'bend insensitive' version that we can take down to 7.5mm radius.

* just a quick tip.. If you run a 5mm microduct when you run your other cables you can effectively provide a conduit for installing upto 12 Fibres at a later date.

I'm keen to understand peoples applications as I am contunially developing new products for Fibre in the home applications.. It's great to hear what is around the corner.

Fibre is quite cost effective to install its the kit that uses fibre which isn't.... have used fibre LNB solution from global a couple of times but for most domestic installs the runs aren't long enough I do have one where perhaps fibre should have been used may still be as there is a 4" duct.... 5mm microduct sounds interesting but we CI's have been retro fitting for many years and can get through most properties with minimal disruption.

The Global LNB is good, we've provided the Kit for a few MultiDwelling Buildings and it works great for that (32 customers per Fibre, we have done 64 quite happily though).

But I can see it will not cost out for standard domestic application.

As for the Active kit cost, hopefully this will come down. Ethernet media convertors and switches are coming down and hopefully this will continue.

The microduct idea is one I have toyed with for a while, we recently deployed it on a block of flats ecternally to trial.
If needed you can happily install 250m of microduct and pull a fibre through it at a later date (even 12Fibres). It can also be direct buried, on external walls or internal so it offers some options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am very interested in this having just spent several days looking at installing a fibre network in my new build house.

Anyone else doing anything similar?

Kstone, i have sent you a PM.

I installed a dark fibre system into a property in Berkhamsted last summer, ready for future use.

Cable is just left coiled in the same back box as the Cat6 terminations, ready to switch over when needed. At the hub it is just coiled into a large, empty wall box, again ready for termination.

V.

Hi Vex, interesting good to hear I am not quiet alone.

Hope you don't mind a couple of questions:

1) what sort of fibre did you install (multimode/singlemode)?
2) Was it multicore tight buggered? how many cores?
3) Did you use ducting, if so what type?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom