Fibre Now Available

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by samhain, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Good evening

I've been waiting for fibre to my house for sometime. I met an engineer in my street a few weeks ago who was putting in FTTP for houses in my area. I checked the bt fibre checker tonight and they have activated my line of up to 300mb/s download speed which is brilliant. I am currently with sky and not interested in migrating to BT or Zen (and another provider I can't remember) so want to stay with sky.

When I phoned sky tonight their system is not updated with the fibre information and the chap says BT keeps it away from other providers to try and get my business first but then after a while will release my line and I'll be able to go with sky.

Sounds about right, how long do they hold the line before releasing to other firms, if anyone knows

Thanks

Stewart

2. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    What a load of...

BT and OpenReach have been operating as 2 separate business units for some time and will be completely separate businesses soon.

OFCOM notice.

Sky have their own equipment in exchanges around the country (LLU-Local Loop Unbundling) and if Sky wish, they could have their own FTTP solution now. Or any alternative they choose. The reason they don't is because it costs billions to roll out, and it's cheaper once economies of scale kick in with OpenReach infrastructure already in place.

The BT excuse is getting tiring to be fair.

3. clovk

clovk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sky only provide FTTP in a small number of areas (although they may have sold that off, not sure). Their main offering is FTTC and ADSL.

It may take a few days (or weeks) to update the BT / OR databases once an area is live, that all providers use, but Sky are giving you a bunch of BS.

BT, Zen, Andrews and Arnold and I think Cerberus are the main providers of FTTP, check their sites and see what you they report, it aint cheap though.

I've got 200/20 and it's awesome - no worry about SNR, DLM or any of that stuff, ethernet cable to a router and away you go, in the 2 years we've had it the longest outage was a couple of hours, apart from that it's never dropped.

Is it definitely FTTP and not FTTPod?

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Definitely FTTP who you with and who would you recommend then based on suppliers listed?

5. clovk

clovk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got both Zen and BT, for various reason :)

Not much to choose from TBH, throughput is fine from both, although at peak times the BT 200/20 connection drops a few mbit/s but nothing that really bothers us. Unless you've something against either supplier, it'll all be down to price, although Zen include static IP's and BT don't.

A&A are quite expensive but have a great reputation, Cerberus I've not used but I know people on ADSL that have used them and are happy.

If you're on ADSL or FTTC right now, you'll love FTTP, we had ADSL for 9 years, 3.5mbit/s :( FTTP is AWESOME ! :D

6. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Cheers not quite sure why I'm getting FTTP but the engineer was running the cable along our street rather than just to the cabinet so it looks like I'll get crazy speeds if I pay for it the open reach checker says up to 330 download but that's probably what it says for all

7. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Lucky. Zen say only 3% of the country can get it. It's not a new product, but it's pretty tough to roll-out, especially where shared access to property is concerned.

8. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I've just gone and ordered up to 200 Mbps download and get free bt sport for 12 months too. So hopefully will be cooking early October

9. clovk

clovk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good luck, if you're on a slow connection now, it's like night and day :)

10. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Something that’s not clear to me. I have a date for the router to arrive and the next day PM an engineer comes to connect up my fibre to the prem. however, what about the fibre to the property bit. As far as I’m aware the fibre is literally outside the drive way of my house but the house is 15 years old and as such will be copper to the property. Will BT run a fibre cable from the end of my drive to the side of my house and connect the box? Will they be able to run the cable along an existing duct to my house underground? There are no street cables whatsoever. Assuming they do have to do this work, there’s no mention of me being charged for it.

Thanks

Stewart

11. clovk

clovk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I haven't got the mails from BT any more, but this is what I got from Zen for our 2nd connection, you should have gotten something similar (I think) from BT.

The outside work doesn't need you to be in, so they may not notify you. When BT did the original install for me, they did all the outside work happily without me, I was in though and offered a cup of tea - always helps :)

12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Okay makes sense, no date given to external survey