Fiber Modem Requirements

Mattyxboxfan

Hi all,

I currently have Plusnet fibre using the provided modem/router from Plusnet. This router is horrible, wifi drops constantly. Is there a simple product I can buy, that will work with Plusnet, that is a fibre modem/router in one and if so are there any recommendations (gaming household), thank you.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Fibre is a term used for multiple different technologies unfortunately.

As far as I know Plusnet only offer VDSL packages under the name fibre - also known as Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC).

This is the most common broadband technology in the UK and most routers with built in modems are designed for this.

So generally the only ones to avoid are those that only work with ADSL (not many around any more) and those with 3G/4G/LTE modems.

Last edited:

psychopomp1

Something like the Netgear D7800 or TP Link VR2800 would be a great combined modem/router choice.

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper then the TP Link VR900 is a good balance between performance & cost.

If you're looking for something cheap as chips, then the TP Link W9970 is ideal (costs around £30) but wifi performance won't be as good as the above routers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom