Question Fibaro Dimmer2 Retrofit into existing 2-Way/Intermediate Switches

eddiem74

Looking for any Fibaro Dimmer2 Retrofit expertise...

Dimmer 2 | FIBARO Manuals

So my house has various 2-Way/Intermediate Switching as per the below diagrams.

2-Way.jpg

Intermediate.jpg

I am trying to retrofit install Dimmer2's however am struggling to find a wiring option that does not result in me losing all switches bar one.

I was looking at various wiring diagrams here:

APNT-112 - 2-Way Lighting Using Fibaro Dimmer 2 | Vesternet

Anyone done this and found a way?

eddiem74

eddiem74

You may want to question who wired the house!
It is the way wiring is done here in Ireland. I have a 2nd electrician in currently and he confirmed the wiring is per the "norm".

So it is looking like I could make 1 switch work by sacrificing all others in the chain which is not ideal or practical.

Any other ideas/suggestions from your experience/knowledge?

eddiem74

You could put a 2nd module behind the other switches , or even a Fibaro door window sensor to act as a controller
How would using a 2nd module help/work...as I would still be missing required wires at each switch, no? How would it be wired?

Are you thinking 'association' i.e. linking modules 1 & 2 so they know each others state? Would wiring still not be an issue?

Last edited:

eddiem74

If you use the door window sensor module you wouldn't need any wiring as battery operated , and associate the two modules
But my existing wiring would not let me add a dimmer2 unless I sacrifice the other wall switches to join all the cables so I have a live and switch wire to connect to the dimmer2 in the one back box.

You are then saying use a door sensor to trigger it?

My main query was around seeing if there was a way to make something work without rewiring so I don't lose to many switches as I need them in case of dinmer2 module failure.

Please don't shoot the messenger ! I know your electrician says it's standard but unfortunately not that compatible with Fibaro and Fibaro supports a lot of wiring configurations . I will have another look at the wiring to see if any other ideas .

The door window sensor isn't used as a door window sensor just as a Zwave wireless controller fitted to a switch as it has an auxiliary input . Wouldn't actually need any of the existing cables at all but could control that lighting circuit by association

eddiem74

Please don't shoot the messenger ! I know your electrician says it's standard but unfortunately not that compatible with Fibaro and Fibaro supports a lot of wiring configurations . I will have another look at the wiring to see if any other ideas.

The door window sensor isn't used as a door window sensor just as a Zwave wireless controller fitted to a switch as it has an auxiliary input . Wouldn't actually need any of the existing cables at all but could control that lighting circuit by association

Would never shoot you Seb, your expertise and advice is to valuable. :thumbsup:

Yes my wiring seems to be the "norm" where electricians were not instructed to wire for Home AV which when my house was built 12+ years ago I would not have even known what that was...:lesson:

Any additional ideas or suggestions welcome but it seems to be a case of running more wires or losing switches to be able to use wires between switches to complete the switch live connection. This might not be a major disaster for the 2-way switches however the main intermediate switches control the landing lights which has 4 wall switches in total, so I would lose 3 switches if using existing wiring.

Thanks again.

Yes my wiring seems to be the "norm" where electricians were not instructed to wire for Home AV which when my house was built 12+ years ago I would not have even known what that was...:lesson:

Certainly don't come across it in the UK but lets not argue lets find you a solution

1st question do they actually work as they are wired now, as cant quite get my head around the 3 way one

eddiem74

Certainly don't come across it in the UK but lets not argue lets find you a solution

1st question do they actually work as they are wired now, as cant quite get my head around the 3 way one
I know...it's the "irish way" it's weird, I even verified on an Irish electrical forum in addition to my electrician telling me.

Yes everything works and the 3 way actually has 4 wall switches in the mix just used 3 in the diagram to simplify the explanation. Electrician verified the wiring and provided me the drawings to help explain to see if anyone had ideas. If you have any doubts I can ask him.

Its I think the American way after some basic research, but ive forwarded it to a couple of electrician and Fibaro experts so hope to get some answers.

The window/door sensor aux input concept would still work but doesn't help you if the main dimmer module fails

eddiem74

Its I think the American way after some basic research, but ive forwarded it to a couple of electrician and Fibaro experts so hope to get some answers.

The window/door sensor aux input concept would still work but doesn't help you if the main dimmer module fails

Thanks, appreciate you reaching out to contacts. The window/door sensor could not be mounted in back box though, right? It's to big or?

Vesternet have got back to me also:
Unfortunately it appears you’re one wire short. The Dimmer does need to be wired to both Live and the Output and there’s no way around I’m afraid :-(

The attached diagram would work but you have no COM wire between both switches.

If you have no way of running an additional wire I would suggest to:
  • Install the Dimmer on the first switch location with the Wall Switch
  • Disable the other 2 wall switches and use 1 of the 2 wires to connect S/L to light
  • Use Nodon wall switch at other switch positions to control the Dimmer 2 via Associations - http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-nodon-wall-switch-3074

eddiem74

Had answers back and unfortunately without rewiring there is no way you can use the switches.

So options are door/window sensors with battery , or universal sensors with Power supply or a zwave remote wireless switch

Door window sensors are not that big and thinner than a module

On another note, finished getting our Amazon Dot converting voice commands into Fibaro Scenes or module control, so at last we have a reliable voice activated system for just over £100, plus the Dot is a nice speaker as well.

Needs a RaspberryPi with HA-Bridge on it bridge but relatively simple once you realise all the shortcuts weren't worth it and just follow the guides to the letter.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom