Question Fibaro / Aeotec with MK Grid Plus

PsyVision

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm close to purchasing a smart home hub, still deciding, but in the meantime I've been thinking about my switch options.

I'm going to use Fibaro or Aeotec Dimmer or Single/Double modules in back boxes with either GU10, incandescent or Hue bulbs depending on rooms.

For switches, I'm thinking of MK Grid Plus K4900 modules, e.g. MK Electric K4900WHI Grid Plus White Retractive Modular Switch 10A, K4900WHI

Has anyone used this combination before with good results? Is the three way retractive the right sort of switch?

Any other options? I don't want to use hue switches etc, want to keep the very normal style 1/2-gang size switches.

I use Fibaro Dimmer2 modules with a Fibaro Bypass per circuit to maintain load for all my GU10 lighting. I use varilight retractive switches in both living rooms to allow dimming via switch if required, elsewhere just use regular switches as on/off is sufficient e.g. Kitchen. I am using a HC2 as the controller but am sure cheaper options exist.

I had seen the Varilight but had seen some (older) comments that they felt cheap (and are much cheaper than MK).

Do you find the regular switches annoying? I hadn't realised until last night that you could use them if you set the right options on the module. It seems that you have to flick the switch on then off in quick succession for it to operate.

Regular switches work exactly as they do without modules. You can play with module settings to have rapid on/off switching to trigger behaviours e.g. Dim / unDim.

I am using motion detection so when you walk into kitchen lights are trigger and a countdown timer starts until motion is triggered again, so the switch is rarely used. Lights switch off when timer reaches zero. Primarily the switch is there in case of technology issues/failure so you can revert to the switch for on/off. In the kitchen, utility, toilet no real need for fancy switches in my case/opinion.

I wasn't a fan of the idea of regular switches. I've bought an MK module to give that a try and will also buy one of the cheaper Varilight ones to compare before buying in bulk.

I've now got a SmartThings hub and some Fibaro dimmers to wire in too. I may give motion sensors a try in some areas but I'm not a fan of battery powered devices or "ceiling/wall acne".

@PsyVision Did you go for the grid 3 way retractive switches in the end or did you find an alternative? I'm looking for the same at the moment, I want my switch to look like a switch and be easy to use, these 3 way switches look ideal but there's not many on the market.

@PsyVision Did you go for the grid 3 way retractive switches in the end or did you find an alternative? I'm looking for the same at the moment, I want my switch to look like a switch and be easy to use, these 3 way switches look ideal but there's not many on the market.

Yes I did, the whole room is done out in the switches, faceplates, sockets etc and looks good IMO. I had to change to 2 way retractive due to the way the Aeotec modules work but 3 way would work with Fibaro. Would definitely buy more or put them in the rest of the house.

I got them from Click4Electrics.

Oh and the build quality is exactly what you'd want in too, much better than Varilight

Which switches did you use? I've order the Scolmore Gridpro to try out

My last order was for:

Click MiniGrid MD004SC Satin Chrome 2 Way Retractive Sw Module (MD004SC)

It's the ClickDeco range I think

I have the Scolmore in most of my house controlling the Fibaro modules.. and it works superbly...

I have the Scolmore in most of my house controlling the Fibaro modules.. and it works superbly...
3 position ones? If so have you any 2 way circuits, I can't figure out how to wire the 3 pos switch that way

3 position ones? If so have you any 2 way circuits, I can't figure out how to wire the 3 pos switch that way
No.. sorry.. just 2 position ones...out of curiosity.. why do you need 3 way?

No.. sorry.. just 2 position ones...out of curiosity.. why do you need 3 way?

Ease of use, up to brighten, down to dim.

As far as I'm aware, with a standard switch you hold down and it just brightens until full then dims, is that right?
Let's say my room is set to 50% when turned on and I want 10%, I don't want to have to go up to full brightness then down again to get to 10%.

Ease of use, up to brighten, down to dim.

As far as I'm aware, with a standard switch you hold down and it just brightens until full then dims, is that right?
Let's say my room is set to 50% when turned on and I want 10%, I don't want to have to go up to full brightness then down again to get to 10%.
Ahh ok.. I didn’t think that worked with a 3 position switch.. I just get Alexa to do that.. works beautifully...

Ahh ok.. I didn’t think that worked with a 3 position switch.. I just get Alexa to do that.. works beautifully...
Yeah from the looks of it a 3 pos switch is basically 2 switches, has 2 switched lived outputs, so you could do the same with a standard double momentary switch, left for brighten, right for dim. Seems to be no such thing as a 2 way 3 position switch though!

I'm hoping the Shelly dimmer will do the same as Fibaro, as it's less than half the price! Got onf on pre-order to try.

Alexa is great in the right situation, eg not when you're putting a baby to bed and can't dim the lights

Yeah from the looks of it a 3 pos switch is basically 2 switches, has 2 switched lived outputs, so you could do the same with a standard double momentary switch, left for brighten, right for dim. Seems to be no such thing as a 2 way 3 position switch though!

I'm hoping the Shelly dimmer will do the same as Fibaro, as it's less than half the price! Got onf on pre-order to try.

Alexa is great in the right situation, eg not when you're putting a baby to bed and can't dim the lights
How about using the triple click action on the switch option to activate a scene to set the brightness to 10%??

How about using the triple click action on the switch option to activate a scene to set the brightness to 10%??
Maybe as a last resort for the 2 way circuits but it's not intuitive.

just waiting for their support to confirm if using a double switch can brighten/dim on either switch.

They've confimed the Shelly Dimmer will do that so it should work fine with a 3 position switch. That's going to be a substantial saving over the Fibaro Dimmer, and no hub needed.

Just received my shelly dimmer - would like a 3 way retractive switch

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?

I'll be using scolmore GridPro

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom