FFXIII - No Longer a PS3 exclusive...

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by winstano, Apr 19, 2007.

1. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html?PHPSESSID=46a7f425312bd406e16aaae6f8e501f4

Title says it all really...

Gotta say I'm slightly disappointed, although not devastated/gutted to the point where I'll boycott the game, like some have/will be doing with DMC4...

I suppose this means one of 3 things:

1) It gets put out on the 360/Wii as well as the PS3, and has multiple disks for the other 2 consoles

2) It gets put out on the 360/Wii as well as the PS3, and has a severely crippled PS3 version

3) It doesn't get put out on the 360/Wii, but instead an 'add on' pack is released for PSP...

What you guys think?

2. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    It may not come to 360, but instead have a version on Wii, like the GC had Crystal Chronicles.

I would be quite disappointed if FFX111 was on 360 as well, as this is the kind of exclusive that would've meant me HAVING to get a PS3.

3. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I hate FF games anyway. I can't stand turn based combat. KOTOR is the only games that made it fun.

X360 can keep FF as far as i'm concerned.

4. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I spose the real question is how big will the gap be between the PS3 version and rival console versions? Because if it's negligible this will seriously hurt Sony.

If it really means the PS3 version will be out first and the others will be ports it gives the PS3 some edge, but this is definitely a blow in terms of boosting the PS3 install base.

5. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FFXIII 'spinoffs' should be the title. Ps3center seem to be a gutter news website desperate for attention.

6. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    fdxd, upon doing a little more digging, it seems as though you're right.

From the looks of it, the FFXIII *FRANCHISE* will not be a PS3 exclusive... Which means that the main FFXIII game will still be a PS3 only title, just any spinoffs will be available to other consoles...

*phew*!

7. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    There are reports that what he said was miss translated and that it was A PS3 and mobile exclusive I guess we will have to wait to see what the full story is.

8. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Wow really? This bothers people so much that they are going to deprive themselves of a (presumably, i dont like it myself) top notch game experience?

Why does it matter that other consoles will get it, as long as you get to play and enjoy it on the console of your choice, what difference does it make?

9. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302

cool, if it's spinoffs like versus etc then that makes more sense. Especially as they've been working on the PS3 version for a while now.

10. echelon

echelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    my guess is a Wii version, similar but different to the PS3.

Xbox 360 is dead in Japan, no way will be see this game on that system.

11. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If it was on the X360 i wonder how many disks it will be on. 1 Blu ray is more than 5 times the size of DVD

12. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Judging by the looks of MGS4 quite a few!

[​IMG]

;) :D

13. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Haha that's funny :)

FF13 is a series not a single game, Fabula Nova Crystalis is the name of the series, Fabula Nova Crystalis is not a game in itself. It is the collective name of FFXIII, Versus XIII, and Agito XIII which as I remember are for PS3, DS/PSP and Wii, its on the Unreal 3 engine too which has been confirmed to work on the Wii, albeit a seriously crippled version.

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Why does this matter? We will see more games go multi-platform due to production costs, it doesn't matter if another console gets it, as long as one gets to play it.

15. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Because if it goes to X360 the PS3 version will be hobbled! If Square stick with PS3 it will use the full power of the Cell and the massive Blu Rays. :)

16. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    You know only one of those discs is non FMV right?:D

Back to topic: Every game that's tailored to one specific console tends to look and play better. The development team can focus solely on the strengths of said console.

The reason FF in the style of the PS2 incarnations (and MGS) has to stay on PS3 surely is down to the sheer amount of cutscenes there are.

17. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    You know that most of MGS cutscenes are rendered in-game right? :D

There is not anywhere near as much FMV as people *think* there is in an MGS game. It just means with the extra space textures don't need to be compressed, they can be streamed etc

18. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If it stays PS3 then because its based off of U3 engine it can stream high-res textures and look as pretty as GoW but as it has the extra capacity it will be nice and long!

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Have you guys heard of compression algorithms?

20. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    With the cost of developing games going through the roof there's gonna be less and less exclusives.

Can't really see the problem myself. Just means it's the gamers that win and not the hardware companies.

21. iddqd

iddqd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Was reading today that Square Enix envision a plan of up to 10 years for their FFXIII franchise, might of been a bad translation but they compared it to the Harry Potter's, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars etc

So it would make sense for them to release over all the consoles. There is the main XIII game for PS3, and then there is Agito, Versus, Haeraesis and I heard mention of something like Dissidia (sp?) .

Anyway, rumours are that one of them is an MMO which will no doubt hit the 360.

22. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    FF XIII does not use the Unreal engine. It's true that engine has been licenced by Square Enix but FF XIII uses their proprietory White engine. The Unreal Engine has been licenced for other projects.

23. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    What relevance is there in the dissapointing performance of the 360 in Japan. That means diddly squat. The 360's performance is very healthy in the West and is still the best selling of the three consoles. That is reason enough for Square to develop more games for it. Square have finally realized they cannot rely on the Playstation brand alone anymore and need to diversify their development. That is why Dragon Quest 9 is being developed for the DS and not a Sony console. This couild be a case of spin offs or it could be a case of the main FF XIII game being released on other consoles. We shall have to wait and see.

24. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ah yes you're right, one should never make assumptions :)

25. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yes but when they say the games industry is bigger than the movie industry,then games really should cost as much as a blockbuster movie? If games make more money than they should.Watching a movie in the cinema costs,on average,£5 in the uk.A single game costs £40 - £50 (high street pricing).

Epic Games VP Mark Rein slammed suggestions that huge budgets are required to create next-gen games after Gears Of War cost just $10 million to make.

Spiderman 2 costs 108 MILLION pounds.:eek:

And there IS a problem with multi platform games when the games are made on the 360 first and ported to ps3,this is mostly to do with the hassle it takes to port it over rather than "inferior" power of the 360 processor.Developers cannot be bothered and lazy ports emerge.

Apparently,if they used the ps3 first and ported to 360,it would be alot easier to do and get better results for both machines.(although to be fair this WAS a developer statement from Lair devs)

26. Hybrid_CA9

Hybrid_CA9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can't understand why people want games to be exclusive, or want people to buy PS3 (or XBox). Unless you work for Sony or MS? If you don't, then surely just let things play out as they will and enjoy whichever product you chose to purchase. With Sony and MS behind them, neither console is likely to die out.

I have an 360 myself, which I'll probably sell soonish, and return to PC games. In the meantime, I would happily trade 360 exclusives like Bioshock and Mass Effect to have FF13 and MGS4. That's because I really don't think there are that many AAA titles coming out for either platform this year, and requiring the purchase of two £300+ consoles to play a handful of great games is insane.

Even better, I'd love to see both of those PS3 titles on the PC. Then I could stop worrying about not having a console and enjoy having 1 machine to do everything. Net, games, media and productivity.

As for the Cell processor, I heard devs struggle to utilise a fraction of the capacity that thing has. Just because it's technically better than anything else around, that doesn't automatically mean that you'll see marked improvement in your games. Gaming in general is not yet embracing multi-threading to its full potential.

Why did I buy a 360 and not a PS3? That price. That's it. £425 is just taking the p*ss.

27. rnicoll

rnicoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In particular, for something like this they can use algorithms that make standard JPEG/MPEG look pitiful. Sure, you need a cluster to compress stuff in any sensible time, and probably a maths/comp sci PhD on staff to hand tweak the results, but things like fractal compression or algorithmic textures are far, far smaller than what most people are used to.

And if people think that's too expensive, look at the cost of producing a game, and consider that they're almost doubling/tripling their target audience for the cost of some supercomputer time and an extra member of staff. Oh, and the developers to do the port, but on any modern game the artists/animators are a far bigger cost.

Edit: Worth mentioning, I work as a research fellow in computer science.

28. rnicoll

rnicoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Or, they could down-scale the PS3 version for the XBox 360/Wii? It's not hard to make stuff look worse, erm, use less resources :)

29. iddqd

iddqd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Because exclusives are good and at this stage of the ps3's life, Sony need exclusives like FF13 and MGS4 to get back in the game.

30. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Glad someone else here knows :D