"FFT3DFilter" - how long before we see processing of this quality in hardware scalers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by David Mackenzie, Apr 24, 2007.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    ...or is it already there? I had to share this here because I think this filter is astonishing.

I'm not sure if people on this forum are aware, but I mess around a lot with video processing tools for Windows. I don't know if you're familiar with the program "Avisynth", but basically it allows filters to be written for it and for you to process video files with these filters.

I tried this one called "FFT3DFilter". The rendering speed is slow-ish (6-7fps for 720x480 30fps video on my Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz) but seriously, look at the results. This is just so good I had to share it. Look how well it's cleaned up this badly encoded Xvid clip:

Input left - output right

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As usual I'm sure the results won't be quite as natural with live action video, but I think that this filter is astonishing. I've used it on Lossless VHS captures as well with very good results, so it's good for filtering more than just compression artefacts. You can read about the principles behind it here:

http://avisynth.org.ru/fft3dfilter/fft3dfilter.html

How long do you think it will be that this sort of Noise Reduction will be possible in real time, and in video processors? Or, is this anything like what the upcoming Lumagen units will do? Is it already possible?

I'll need to try pulling some live-action MPEG-2 from Freeview and see what it does to it...

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
  3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    The Flea has a feature that's similar to that but the results aren't as good (not surprising since it has to work in real time). I found that the Flea's most powerful Noise Reduction gave a slightly cruder (but still potentially useful) "eroding" effect of the areas it thought were mosquito noise. The results definitely didn't look like the examples I posted.

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Any other interesting PC filters, that don't work in realtime? e.g. I'm interested in deinterlacing that include 3:2 / 2:2 pulldown and could say convert 480i60 DVD to 480p24; multi-pass filter that got perfect candence locks would be great.

StooMonster

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I've always found that the best deinterlacing has been done by hardware... but I'll need to look into it. Certainly TMPGEnc for Windows can extract the original 24p video from an Interlaced 29.970fps source in faster than real time (depending on your CPU speed)... but good DVD players do that anyway, obviously.

I'm not sure if one exists to do it during playback, though.

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Obviously happy with DVD players and various video processors, want to do it on PC/Mac for ripping / editing. :)

Thanks for tip on TMPGEnc, I've got fairly rude hardware so imagine it's going to run at "faster than realtime". ;)

Bring on the weekend, so I can get some time to play!

StooMonster

7. CITY_MANC

CITY_MANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I believe it's already here Lyris and Yves Faroudja has already gone on record ,stating:

"The amazing images produced by the Let It Wave up-conversion process are reaching the ultimate quality point."

Some recommendation eh :eek:

You can read all about it HERE

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    I've seen the wavelet stuff from those guys and it's pretty neat. Certainly their interframe reconstruction looked better than than Meridians MCTi stuff.

Gordon

9. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Sorry to be a miserable git, but I really don't see anything particularly impressive about that filter- nothing that can't be done by convolving with a Gaussian with enough width to blunt the sharp edges.

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm just impressed at how little detail has been lost. A simple Gaussian blur would surely lose a lot more detail than that.

11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Apparently so ;)

[​IMG]

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Yeah, the FFT3DFilter version looks much better in terms of detail. (That was your point, right?)