1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ffdshow

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bcopping, Aug 24, 2005.

1. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I am having difficulties getting ffdshow to work correctly with theatertek. The picture will not fill up the screen. there is a large border all the way round the screen.

I think it may be putting a 16:9 picture within a 4:3 picture onto my 16:9 projector screen, hence borders all the way arround (if that makes any sence) however i may be wrong!!

I am using the latest versions of Theatertek & ffdshow, with ffdshow set up with the settings shown here: http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_2

The picture is very good and fills the screen when using the NVIDIA post processor instead of ffdshow however i would like to see if ffdshow could make things even better.

Any ideas??

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It can be a bit of a pain getting TT and FFDSHOW to stop fighting over A/R. :)

First thing is to go into TT's A/R editor and turn off "Auto Aspect Ratio" (or whatever the option is) on all A/Rs, then IIRC go into FFDSHOW and set A/R to "don't alter" (again, or whatever the option is).

If memory serves that will then leave TT in charge but won't let it try to adjust the A/R from what the source says it is.

It's a long time since I set my old HTPC up which is why I can't remember the exact names of the settings but that's how I remember having to do it.

And yes, FFDSHOW will improve it quite a bit as long as you're willing to spend a little time. Use Lanczos scaling, set parameter to 2 .. don't go above 2, or at least be aware if you do you'll (i) introduce ringing and (ii) introduce green shift. If you want, try setting the Chroma Sharpening to, say, 0.5-1.0 to oversome the slight softening scaling adds but without adding noticeable ringing (Luma sharpening seems completely ineffectual from what I've seen). Leave all other options alone to begin.

3. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Genius!!

That appears to have solved the problem, will continue to play with the settings and see waht it can do!!

Thanks

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks also from me. I was using Zoom player but followed the same advice and that solved my identical problem.

Cheers

Rajiv

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I'd leave the chroma sharpening alone though. It will likely only introduce noise. If anything there may be some merit in applying a little chroma gaussian ( this is a type of blur) to soften out any 4:2:0 chroma interlace artifacts.

I can see luma sharpening having an effect . I tend to use a fairly small amount and rely on additional unsharp mask in the sharpness module. (less ringing).

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Maybe I got them the wrong way round :), it's been a while since I set up FFDSHOW, one certainly seemed to do nothing. I used to use Unsharp but found the sharpening in Lanczos was sufficient for me and produced less noticeable ringing .. of course, as usual it is very dependent on your display, on my 92" screen issues like ringing are far more noticeable than on something like a 42" plasma.

7. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've finally got FFDSHOW to play nice with TT - but I can't for the life of me get the aspect ratio to work properly - can someone please check these settings over to see where I'm going wrong?

TT: Auto Aspect Ratio is unchecked and I have unchecked the 'Lock Aspect Ratio' in the Editor for all the a/r settings listed there

FFDSHOW: This is re-sizing to 1440x1152 (double PAL dvd [is that correct??!]) and the aspect ratio setting is set to 'no aspect ratio correction'

Where do I go from here? Sometimes the picture is slightly cropped at the bottom, but almost always the menu options are out of alignment with the text, i.e. you have to click a centimetre above the option you want.

Lastly, in TT Video settings, I have DVD etc set to VMR 7. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, so should these be set to 'overlay' instead?

Thanks in advance for any help!

8. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    i didnt do any resizing in ffdshow i just set the monitor resolution to be the same as my display souce's native resolution (1280 + 720 i think)

Edit: Sorry i lied, after checking i found i do do resizing but only to 1280 * 720 (same as my display)

9. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    i am not sure about vmr 7 i only have vmr 9?

i got just a black screen with overlay, no picture at all, so had to use vmr 9