1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDShow & Theatertek

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikearv, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 1368x768 desktop resolution.

I'm struggling to get the resize right in FFDshow & Theatertek, can anyone suggest the resize resolution I should enter in FFDshow?

...and once it's scaled up, how do I get TT to resize it back down to desktop resolution?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've been told that FFD can't output this resolution .. when I queried why someone was over-scaling on their system that's the reason they gave.

The (simplified) flow of the video stream is as follows:

DVD -> MPEG decoder(TT) -> post-processor(NVPP, FFDSHOW, etc.) -> video renderer(graphics driver) -> video output

The graphics card always scales the video stream to the configured output resolution, that's what you're doing when you set a desktop resolution using the control panel or Powerstrip.

So if you use FFD to up-scale to, say, 1440x960 then it'll be down-scaled on output. While the card's scaler isn't as good as FFD (hence the reason for using FFD in the first place) it won't impact the PQ too much when reducing resolution and you'll still benefit from FFD's better up-scaling.

Hope this clarifies what's going on. :)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I found the that upscaling to 1440 then letting the card downscale to the 1368 resolution gave inferior quality than just going straight with the graphics card and not using ffdshow but I'm still tweaking.

4. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any joy? I'm in exactly the same boat, want to scale to 1368. Tried 1280 variations and I'm getting tearing and all sorts.

Any tips gratefully received.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I've had some progress.

Scaling to 1920x1080 (much better than 1440 definite improvement)
    Lanczos resize parameter 4 although I agree that there doesn't appear to be much benefit 2-4 and going higher is very nasty.

No sharpening at the rescale stage.
    small chroma gaussian blur

tiny luma blur might alo be good but can't make my mind up.

then sharpening using the unsharp mask at pretty ow levels

you'll have to uncheck auto-aspect ratio in TT and setup the aspect manually but its easy ( the ratio readout is a useful addition to the new TT) 1.77:1 is what you want for 16x9.

This looks very nice to me as the unsharp mask doesn't exacerbate any ringing already on the image from the mastering it just crisps up the edges and high frequency detail rather than add ringing.

this is on a P4 3.2 and it peaks at about 30% according to the ffdshow osd

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A highly unreliable estimate in my experience if you run TT windowed and view the Task Manager performance graph.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'm sure but its not dropping any frames and the only thing that would ever be running in the background is digitv recording which is hardly any more intensive than writing to the HD.

8. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At 1920 I'm still getting tearing but the picture is a definite improvement.

With FFDSHOW disabled I get a rock solid picture but it's not as good. (I'm using powerstrip to get 1:1 mapping with my HS20).

I can only assume my ATI 9600 is not up to the job of downscaling 1920 to 1368. I've tried setting resolution to 1280 x 720 (on the PC) to make the downscaling simpler but the picture is now too soft.

Is the image your seeing really stable? If so, I could really do with seeing some detail on your FFDShow settings?

Cheers

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    yes its stable no tearing.

using VMR7 by the way on a 9800 pro. VMR9 works but only with .ts and other formats. Play a dvd and it kills TT and corrupts the install! (although I need to check this after the recent patch)
    I don't see any posterisation problems with VMR7 unlike some other people.

Watched Collateral the other night and Kill Bill ... very happy with the ffdshow settings picture is much clearer without any nasty over sharpening artifacts.

settings are:

chroma gaussian 0.29

unsharp mask : strength 40