FFDshow settings?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Onyxia, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Onyxia

Onyxia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I'm having some trouble getting resizing using lancos to run smoothly on my computer.
    Spec is A64 3500+ oced to 2.3ghz (mild oc), 1 Gig RAM, x800xt.

Using the info at the start of this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=469093&highlight=ffdshow the playback is jerky. I've tried a few different ffdshow compliations from non sse, sse and sse2 without success. Can anyone shed some light on this and provide some of thier own custom settings and setups? :lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What parameters have you set? What version are you using? Have you used Task Manager to monitor CPU usage? What visual problems are you seeing: judder, tearing, etc.?

FFDSHOW is very susecptible to new releases running like dogs, I still run the 20041012 version because nothing released since makes as far as I can see make any useful difference to SD DVD playback and on a 3G P4 with an ATI 9600, Lanczos 2 with Chroma Sharpening at 1.0 scaling to 1920x1080 outputting 1280x720 uses no more than about 90% CPU so you shouldn'e expect to see any problems at all with your setup.

3. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that, I use the same version and resize to 2x Lanczos 2, Luma sharpen 1.5 and sometimes a bit of unsharpen mask too. I have an Athlon 2800+ and a Nvidia FX 5700 ultra, 512 gig memory and I see about 70-76% cpu.

Try an older cersion, or an sse version if you are on P4's as they are optimised.

4. Onyxia

Onyxia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using the latest celtic druid build. 20051105 http://ffdshow.faireal.net/

Settings
    Levels - Check
    Blur & BR - Check -> Denoise3d Luma 0, Chroma 0.5, Time 5
    Resize - Check -> 1776x1000, Luma Method - Bicubic (runs ok) 90%+ cpu usage
    setting the luma method to Lanczos, parameter 10, luma sharpen 0.5, chroma sharpen
    0.0 results in 100% cpu usage and dropped frames.
    Output - Check -> YV12 - deselected everything else.

I tried 20041012, all sse versions. They run about the same speed.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Never use Lanczos above 2. Setting to 10 is degrading your image considerably, introducing ringing and green shift. I have little comprehension of the algorithms work but an expert in the field, whose expertise wasn't challenged by the assembled throng :), posted some months ago on AVS giving this advice.

Try just using this. Disable all filters except Resize, set Lanczos 2, Chroma 1.0 and see what results you're getting.