1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDShow Questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeTV, Sep 4, 2005.

1. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    After years of some skepticism, I am finally using ffdshow and the results are worthwhile, even if I don't entirely understand the science behind it! (more detail from less? how can that be?)

Currently, I am only using it in conjunction with WMP10, as PowerDVD doesn't seem to want to use it, and my free/old copy of zoom player doesn't seem to either.

But it seems to impact the sound (dropouts) - is this because it is trying to filter the audio track, or because the cpu is struggling? On the LOTR two towers, I was unable to use the DTS passthru soundtrack - only dolby digital, any idea why?

Also, how can I disable it, for sources that I don't want to use it? Is there a quick way without uninstalling?

Why does it work with WMP and not PowerDVD? Is there a trick? Also zoom player?

I am using an athlon 2600 xp, showing as 2.08GHz with 512MB of RAM. Is this enough? CPU seems very high during playback. Would more memory improve things noticeably?

I am only resizing in the x-axis (eg. 1440x576), because this seems to work acceptably. Is this the right thing to do?

My settings are:

Blur and NR: Gradual denoise .25
    Resize: 1440x576; Manual aspect ratio 1.78:1

Any other settings I should try?

Thanks.

Mike.

(ps. do I really need to buy Theatertek? I'm tight, and need to be convinced)