Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

FFDShow Questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeTV, Sep 4, 2005.

1. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    After years of some skepticism, I am finally using ffdshow and the results are worthwhile, even if I don't entirely understand the science behind it! (more detail from less? how can that be?)

Currently, I am only using it in conjunction with WMP10, as PowerDVD doesn't seem to want to use it, and my free/old copy of zoom player doesn't seem to either.

But it seems to impact the sound (dropouts) - is this because it is trying to filter the audio track, or because the cpu is struggling? On the LOTR two towers, I was unable to use the DTS passthru soundtrack - only dolby digital, any idea why?

Also, how can I disable it, for sources that I don't want to use it? Is there a quick way without uninstalling?

Why does it work with WMP and not PowerDVD? Is there a trick? Also zoom player?

I am using an athlon 2600 xp, showing as 2.08GHz with 512MB of RAM. Is this enough? CPU seems very high during playback. Would more memory improve things noticeably?

I am only resizing in the x-axis (eg. 1440x576), because this seems to work acceptably. Is this the right thing to do?

My settings are:

Blur and NR: Gradual denoise .25
    Resize: 1440x576; Manual aspect ratio 1.78:1

Any other settings I should try?

Thanks.

Mike.

(ps. do I really need to buy Theatertek? I'm tight, and need to be convinced)