1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ffdshow problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by spencer, Oct 29, 2004.

1. spencer

spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying to get FFDSHOW to work with Theatertek(1.5 I think).
    I have installed the most recent version. All installs properly. I have follwed the set up guides to get it working properly. I can select FFDSHOW in theatertek and then once Theatertek is restarted it reports a fatel error. I have tryed with and without reclock (as reclock was one of the reported problems).
    Also at this poist Dscaler won't work either.

Is it just a matter of trying older versions or am I missing/not undersatanding something?

Also can someone tell me what the difference between the "Normal" and sse and sse2 versions are. Which should I be using?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    First, crashes when starting are usually a result of one of two setup problems:

1) if you're playing a PAL DVD you need to set a registry entry, this differs depending on which MPEG decoder you're using, if that's TT 1.5 then you've got the Sonic decoders, these are the registry settings you need:

For NTSC you set the second one to 0.

TT2 uses the nVidia codecs and that needs a different setting:

Though there's also a checkbox in TT2's config dialog to set this.

2) you need to configure FFDSHOW codec "RAW: All Supported", the easiest way to do that is to select the "Raw-only filter configuration" menu item in the Start menu group for FFDSHOW.

The 'normal' version isn't optimised for any particular CPU, and thus works on all Intel, AMD and other 'x86' processors, whereas the 'SSE2' version is compiled with optimisations which will only work on CPUs having Intel's SSE2 instructions, which in practive means any P4 and AMD64s but NOT AMD XP series. Ultimately it really only matters with certain filters where it reduces the CPU load, so if the filters you want to use don't over-tax your processor with the 'normal' version then the 'sse2' one won't make any useful difference to you.

HTH

3. spencer

spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. All now works.

I haven't managed to resize the picture properly or get a better picture yet, but I'm sure this will come with experimentation.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Glad you're up and running .. er, well, up anyway. :D

FFDSHOW can be a little daunting, I've barely scratched the surface but the resizer is certainly on a par with external scalers, in my limited experience of those at any rate.

There's a huge thread on AVS about FFDSHOW, far too big really with lots of useful information buried among the often pointless waffle, I started off with FFDSHOW only when I read this simple 'how to' which began to explain what up till then had completely baffled me. :)

5. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    KraGorn - Another big thank you from me. I was having exactly the same problem this weekend. I spent ages looking through AVS posts for help. I found references to the 'AllowAllRenderers' (already set) but not the 'HardCodeForPal'. The simple 'how to' is good but I don't think there is any mention of this essential detail.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Glad it helped .. FFDSHOW is a great tool for HTPC owners but it's pretty unapproachable for the n00b, and I speak as one still :), and this sort of tip is usually buried among a morass of info .. I actually asked twice on the TT forums some time back and never got a reply, I happened to spot this vital info in passing.

'AllowAllRenderers' is set by TT apparently I later learned but I still keep it in the .REG file I use .. note that the PAL one is decoder-specific, if you use the WinDVD decoders you'd need yet another variant .. it's a pity the authors of FFDSHOW can't be bothered to make their code auto-detect and handle PAL/NTSC automatically. *sigh*

Note that my comment about the "Raw configuration" isn't necessarily the best idea, it'll point you to the setting you need to change but you're best off using the normal "configuration" menu item because that takes you to the full settings just like when you click the 'properties' button in TT2.

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Theatertek 2 uses the Nvidia codecs for postprocessing, and I've found them to be about as good as FFdshow. Just select the option in the postprocessing box under configuration.

Means you have to upgrade to TT2, but it is a better product anyway (the patch has sorted just about all the flakiness). And you don't have to mess around with ffdshow. And the Nvidia codecs will work on an ATI card if that's what you're using.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have an ATI card but when I set to NVPP the Properties button is not available so I assumed that it would not waork with my graphics card??? :confused:

Conor

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are no configurable settings in NVPP that I can see, that button is disabled whether I run with my 9700 or 5700, AFAIK it just 'works'. The same non-configurability happens with ZoomPlayer BTW.

There is a configuration dialog available from the nVidia codecs, though TT sets a registry entry to prevent it appearing .. if you alter this entry:

and then run Zoom Player with the nVidia codecs you'll get a system tray icon that leads you to this dialog .. there's nothing there though that can't be set from inside TT, which is why TT disables the icon, more particularly nothing you can set appears to affect NVPP.

Note that TT resets this value to 1 every time you run it.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    You'll have to dumb this down a little for me :)

Are u saying that wheater I use an ATI card or an NVIDEO card there are no changable settings using NVPP (unlike FFDShow)... it's either on or off, thats it?

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, okay, sorry to confuse.

:oops:

Yes, it's either 'on' or 'off'. :)

It's job is to do 3:2 pulldown and one or two other jobs, none of which have any options in how they perform .. there's a reasonable summary of its' purpose in this thread on AVS, which although being about the 6600GT includes a discussion on NVPP.

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks Robin for the replys to both threads. Very helpful

13. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Robin

If you keep on like this your claims to be a newbie won't fool anybody ;)

Doubtless you could get better results with much fiddling with ffdshow, but NVPP is a no brainer and works OK.

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I read a lot. :cool:

I'm a n00b insofar as I have very little understanding of what I'm doing, I follow articles like that one I posted the link to, read AVS, fiddle with the settings guys like Vlad and Li On document.

So, if someone were to ask *why* such and such a setting works better than some other one, or *how* to achieve an effect I'd be lost .. however, I pass on what I've picked up because until I read that 'how to' I was utterly lost with FFDSHOW, even to the point of not understanding how to actually *use* it, let alone know what it does.

I also found asking often leads to a deadly silence, especially no AVS where n00bs often seem to be treated like something the cat dragged in .. not by everyone of course, some of the regulars are very helpful, but in general lots of questions go unanswered when the answer is often very simple.

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Reading this link ffdshow does look pretty amazing, does it really make that much of a noticeable difference, and with it doing post processing of the dvd is there any audio delay as there would be with a scaler.

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In my limited experience the difference in picture quality increases with the size of the projected image in tha main .. not really surprising since increased detail and fewer artifacts can easily go un-noticed on a 'normal' size CRT TV.

I've not noticed any audio delay in using the couple of filters I've played with so far, certainly re-sizing to desktop size doesn't, in my experiments with a 3GHz P4 I've suffered dropped frames from CPU clipping before getting any audio problems. Whether this is simply because my CPU can't do enough work or whether there's something inherent about PC playback that prevents audio delay I have no idea.

17. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Kragorn so to use ffdshow and play a full size picture i am going to need a processor in excess of 3ghz :eek:

Also if i intend to use Theatertek in V2.02 now useable, i was going to get 1.5 but just didnt get round to ordering and you can no longer get it, cheers inza.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not saying you need a 3G P4 just to do resizing per se, it depends on the amount of resizing and the quality you select .. resizing to 1280x720 at 'good' quality (aka. Lancosz 4) requires only about 50% processor usage on my system, the more CPU power you have the more processing you can apply, eg. sharpening, de-noising etc.

And since FFDSHOW is free there's no risk of wasting money. ;)

19. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Well thats what i am thinking, well that and the picture difference, but i need to buy a front end as i currently use powerdvd and this is not compatible with ffdshow according to the above link.

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I never use PDVD these days but I can understand that it may not since the player has to know that it has to pass the decoder image to a post-processor and presumably therefore PDVD doesn't know how to do that.

I think there's a freeware MPEG-2 decoder which may be able to be used with a freeware media player such as Media Player Classic, a pretty exceptional media player, but I've never tried to try this combination so can't say if it works or how good it would be if it does work.

21. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I just downloaded ffdshow and tried to use it with Theatertek but when I tried to run Theatertek it wouldn't open. I removed ffdshow and then TT ran fine.
    Any ideas ?

Jeff :rtfm:

22. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Do you mean wouldn't open or crashed?Which version of TT? If prior to 2, then you need to make a registry change to play PAL movies.

23. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It wouldn't even open :(

I think it's 1.5

24. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What did you do in TT after installing FFDSHOW, simply installing FFDSHOW shouldn't make a difference to TT 1.5 (or 2 for that matter), you'd need to go in and change TT's configuration to tell it to use post-processing.

25. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Robin,

I selected ffdshow in the post processing box of the video tab of TT.
    I followed the advice of HTPC News w/s that you gave a link to earlier in the thread

26. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah okay .. and now TT won't open. Do you mean it won't open at all, even when there's no DVD in the drive, so that you'd normally expect to just see the logo then the screensaver? If that's the case then this is weird because TT won't be trying to use FFDSHOW unless it's starting to play a DVD.

27. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You can't use FFDshow with DXVA enabled AFAIK, check you haven't turned this on.

28. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I reloaded ffdshow and now it works :)

29. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek: .. I'm damned impressive at times. :p

Can't begin to think *why* it fixed it but glad you got it going. :)

30. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Does this mean that ffdshow will not work with a XP processor?