Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

ffdshow hosing Theatertek

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kaz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed TheaterTek 1.5
    then ffdshow (various versions none work). But when I have ffdshow installed TT crashes and the PC requries a re-boot.
    (OK so perhaps it's ffdshow that's crashing but even after I uninstall ffdshow TT still crashes).
    Heck, even after I uninstall TT and re-install (with no ffdshow) TT crashes needing a re-boot.
    So now I can't even use TT.

I thought I'd fixed it when I noticed I'd actually got an NTSC disk in when I'd set it up for PAL. But won't now play any disks.

In Sonic/CineMaster DS DVD/2.5/VideoDecoder I have the follwoign registry settings:
    AllowAllRenderers 1
    HardCodeForPal 1

etc

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Did you get TT running on its' own before trying FFDSHOW? Never a good idea to throw several things in at once.

Did you take a backup of your system before you started? How about a System Restore Point (assuming XP)? If not then it's hard to know what to suggest except methodically uninstalling and removing from the registry manually every trace of TT and FFDSHOW and trying again with just TT, first in hardware mode, ie. set DXVA in the TT Config. dialog.

3. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Robin.

PS did you keep the 6600GT?

this is driving me up the wall! :rolleyes:
    I've uninstalled, re-installed, cleared the registry (ffdshow is total history). Got to the point where WMP then thought there were no DVD decoders.
    Had a play with Zoomplayer to see which decoders appeared when I installed TT1.5 (with its Sonic decoders).
    And now whatever app I try to launch any of my DVDs with crashes. It's only TT1.5 that means I have to re-boot though cause it gets it's knickers in a twist whilst in full screen....

it's XP pro, no system restore points. I'm trying to learn how to set up a clean build for prefered DVD playback. If I kill this PC I can re-build, but then I haven't found out how to get TT1.5 + ffdshow to work.

any other ideas???

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It was a 6800 and I sold it.

So your system crashes whether you use WMP, TT or ZP? Clearly it seems to be the Sonic codecs but God knows why. It's very hard to reach any conclusions given the history. In your position I'd start over, format and install.

One key tool IMHO is Norton Ghost, it allows you to take a copy of a working system in ints' entirey so if things go pear-shaped later you can restore .. it's far better than System Restore which does not restore in all cases.

Create a system partition of 4Gb (C:) and use the rest of the disk space as D: Install Windows and Ghost then take an image. Then slowly add software bit by bit, testing as you go and image after each. You'll end up with a series of images taken at each known good point, you can then delete most of them keeping only those at strategic points.

If you don't want to use Ghost then just install Windows, full patch it, apply SP2 if you want, then just install TT in hardware mode and see. If that fails then you'll have to try TT's forum for help because I for one have no ideas what the problem could be I'm afraid.

5. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup looks like I'm going to have to 'cause I can't even get my old version of Power DVD to work (it gets an internal error when trying to start).

It's a shame when all this tinkering leads to an unfixable mess :rotfl:

Rather than Ghost I take a slightly more long winded approach. Everything that can be sits on another disk. Game saves and pst files, I back up to a USB disk then I'll blat the disk and use a modified version of WinXP pro slipstreamed with SP2 and a few updates since, plus my virus prog, drivers, tweak xp and a whole host of other usual suspects, patches and configurations all set to install with windows with no intervention. All in 17mins, plus about 10 for 0ffice 2003, proj, visio, mindmanager.
    But this is because usually a re-build coinsides with a major component change so it needs to detect the hardware and load the right drivers.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The one big benefit of Ghost is that you backup everything, no 'on-line' backup method can do that, moreover the registry is inherently backed up too.

7. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup perhaps in this line of play ghost might be useful.

As it was System Restore was turned on at a useful point. I restored an hey presto all was fixed. So THANKYOU :clap:

I've restored TT1.5 discovered that both ffdshow-20030103.exe and ffdshow-20050216.exe work just fine!

I've gone with the later.

Now to determine whether TT2.1 + a 6600GT would be a worth while upgrade from TT1.5 + ffdshow + 9600XT (with DVI connections to a 1024X768 plasma) :confused:

8. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh and another thing, it was ffdshow's compiled on 20041012 that my system didn't like. Especially the SSE ones, as I've learnt these are designed for Intels and not AMD processors.