1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDSHOW "ForcePal" switching using Girder

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Chap's,
    I never bothered with FFDSHOW & TT 1.5x because i hated the hard artificial look, with TT 2 (02) however with it's better deinterlacing, it is now the time to start tweaking :)
    One of the biggest pitfalls, IMO, of FFDSHOW is that it doesn't recognise PAL ,you have tell it it's receiving a PAL signal, the other major hurdle is trying to tell FFDSHOW, TT & Girder to switch the "ForcePal" option on & off using via a Pronto (as in my case)
    There is a nifty plugin for Girder called RegSetValue 1.7 which allows (very simply) to add registry entries.
    With this plugin i can show you how to switch the ForcePal option in TT 2.02 only.

1. Download the plugin, unzip the program (to desktop) remove the "RegSetValue.dll" & the "Switchwave.gml" from their respective folders & place both in your Girders plugin folder.

2. Open Girder go to file>settings, in the settings window go to the plugins tab scroll down to "RegSetValue" & tick it, also tick "Auto Enable Input Device" apply & ok, dont forget to save i.e file>save.

3. Next open Edit>Add Multigroup, rename it, i.e "FFDSHOW PAL", right click on your new multigroup & select "Add Command" from the context menu, rename this, i.e force pal, keep this command highlighted & select the Girder "Plugins" tab, highlight RegSetValue, press the "Settings" button & in the "Key\Name" box add this value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Filters\Video\ForcePALConnection

Hit the "REG_DWORD"radio button.
    In the "Value box" add this:

Apply & ok.

5. That's the first bit done, i like to have a wait command before each command is executed to do this right click on your "Multigroup" the one named FFDSHOW PAL ;) from the context menu "Add Command" rename it "wait" from the Girder tab select "Window" & from the drop down tab select "Wait" in the "X/Timeout[ms]" type this value:

Next tick "Wait for Window"

6. Right click on your "Multigroup" "FFDSHOW PAL" from the context menu "Add Command" rename this to "ffdshow on" keep this highlighted & from the Girder tabs select "Plugins" highlight RegSetValue, press the "Settings" button & in the "Key\Name" box add this value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TheaterTek\TheaterTek DVD\Video Enhance

Hit the "REG_SZ" radio button.

ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder

Apply & ok.

7. Now add another wait command just copy your original & paste in your "Multigroup" FFDSHOW PAL ON.

8. Nearly there :smashin: Right click on your "Multigroup" FFDSHOW PAL" Add Command" from the context menu rename it "pp select" keep this highlighted & from the Girder tabs select "Plugins" highlight RegSetValue, press the "Settings" button & in the "Key\Name" box add this value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TheaterTek\TheaterTek DVD\PostProcessing

Hit the "REG_DWORD"radio button.

Apply & ok.

9. Right then that's the Pal bit sorted only the NTSC to do :boring: only kidding :lesson: Copy your "Multigroup" "FFDSHOW PAL" & rename it to "FFDSHOW NTSC" highlight "force pal" & rename it "force ntsc" this is the only command that will need to be changed.
    In the new "Multigroup" "FFDSHOW NTSC" select "force ntsc" keep this command highlighted & select the Girder "Plugins" tab, highlight RegSetValue, press the "Settings" button & Hit the "REG_DWORD"radio button.

Apply & ok.

Don't forget to save the new config in Girder i.e save.
    Now test your new multigroups & add the IR commands & voila! easy switching of the ForcePal problem from the comfort of your armchair.
    There are other post processing options in TT2x & all can be implemented in exactly the same way.
    It all seems a bit daunting, do it, it's not a lot of time (30 mins max) & it works, beautifully.
    I'm tweaking like mad now with FFDSHOW & the images i'm getting are sublime but that's for another thread :cool:
    Here endeth the lesson if i seem a little patronising to the "old hacks" here i'm sorry........& tough :D
    HTH.
    Tim.

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you could of course use anydvd , when you insert a dvd it detects whether its ntsc or pal and then runs whatever you tell it to accordingly (reg file, batch file etc). Very easy to use and works evertime and is totally hidden in the background (many thanks to the guys that told me about this program)

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    yes, I've been using this anydvd-style switching (actually I use another program but it does a similar thing) for ages. Definitely simpler than Girdir and also requires no input from me whatsoever :)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Unless of course you play DVDs off a hard disk and don't store them in a mountable ISO image. :)

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Good point, however i've also done more multigroup/macro's for the other post processing method as well as turning ffdshow on/off, turning on/off overlay turning on/off dxva vmr7 & vmr9 all with nvidia post processing on/off with dxva on/off etc etc etc took flippin ages :eek: i've also added resolution switching to the multigroup, the list seems endless.
    Tim.