1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDSHOW at 100% on XP2800 with resize

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nick Cartwright, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the following set up: -

AMD Athlon XP2800+
    FX5700 Ultra
    512 Mb DDR PC3200 ram
    SoundBlaster live 5.1

I run win XP with SP2
    TT 2.05
    Dscaler
    Powerstrip
    Girder

My problem is that when I used Re-size in FFDSHOW my CPU suddenly starts to peak every second or so at 100%. This is causing Stutters.

I’m not doing major re-sizing, only to 1280x720 Lancos 4(Chroma Sharpen .5). I put Gradual Denoise before it as to change the colourspace to YV12 (or whatever?) and I sometimes use a very slight touch of unsharpen (12).

From looking at other people set ups I feel that my PC should cope quite easily with this set up, and it looks like I does most of the time, it just peaks every second (of more frequently) to 100% using the OSD in FFDSHOW to monitor it. The peaks coincide with a stutter.

Anyone any ideas?

I’ve checked the task manager and only TT looks to be running, but there are a high number of processes running, could there be some superfluous processes that are using up my CPU?

It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get re-size working as I like the picture with just TT2.0 in DXVA/SMART mode, but some DVD’s do benefit from a touch of sharpening.

Thanks

Nick

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're running TT2 with NVPP I don't think you need the Denoise filter, I've read NVPP converts the colour space, certainly the several real FFDSHOW experts on AVS who are using the NVidia codecs don't generally seem to list anything before the Resize filter in their setups (one or two do sharpen before resizing but that's not for colour-space reasons).

I'm not sure that I'd have said I'd expect a 2800+ would cope 'easily' to be honest, especially if you're also sharpening in the resize and doing an unsharpen afterwards. Try knocking down the resize to, say, 2 and see if it makes any visible difference. I've alternated between 4 and 8 and frankly don't see any real difference most of the time.

3. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I'll play a bit tonight.

I have to say that I don't really see much difference with re-size anyway, maybe because of the stutter?

I quite like the picture with just DXVA but it can sometimes appear a bit soft.

The odd thing is that the CPU usage was a lot less when I had Win 98!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hard to blame XP for an increased processor use as long as none of the other background processes are sitting on 0% in Task Manager ... one thing, try monitoring the processor usage in the 'Process' tab rather than the graph, see if any of the other processes is doing something periodically.

I agree that after applying a bit of sharpening it's hard to go back to hardware mode.

What display are you using? I suspect one reason I'm not seeing a marked difference is that at the moment I'm using a 1025x576 projector .. when the HD+ one I've ordered arrives I may see some difference when I'm getting 1:1 mapping.

5. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made some progress last night. I uninstalled FFDSHOW (latest version 20041012?) and then I installed the SSE (not SSE2) version (20041012).

Seemingly SSE is the same as 3dnow and can be used with AMD processors, whereas SSE2 is solely Intel based.

Anyway, I started with NVVPP as first post-processor and FFDSHOW as the second. Resize 1280X720 lancos 4, no luma sharpening and it worked ok, 75% CPU using task manager (This appears more accurate than the CPU status in the FFDSHOW OSD).

I added a slight bit of gradual dnoise (9) before and a touch of unsharpen mask after (12) and watched The Day after Tomorrow. I was very impressed. I think re-size certainly makes a diffference in PQ. I also found that after usign Re-size that unsharped doesn't make as noticable an amound of difference, but the setting I found gave me the most detailed picture I've ever had on my PJ.

I also tried Return or the King and Return of the Jedi and both looked fantastic. And completely stutter free (CPU was about 85-87% at this point)

KraGorn - I am using a Barco Graphics 808, 8" CRT on a 7.5 foot screen. CRT is inherently soft, but very film like, so with a touch of Sharpening the detail really shows, but I have to go to extremes (beyond CPU capacity) to really mess the picture up and get a horrible digitised image. The settings I found give more detail, slightly better sharpness and actually increase the filminess of the image.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Being a P4 user I didn't think to ask about the FFDSHOW version you were using, in fact I'm mildly surprised it didn't crash, I didn't think Athlons had SSE2 instructions.

I've also found the CPU usage FFDSHOWs is utterly meaningless. :)

So, are you completely happy now, or does more tweaking beckon? :D

7. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be 3 versions of the current 20041012 release. A standard version, an SSE and an SSE2. I know that SSE2 is only for P4's, but the SSE version will work with later AMD chips as 3dNow is based on SSE. This is accordign t' t'web.

I think I am reasonable happy, but I'm sure prolong watchign will make me want to tweak. When I first got HTPC I was tweakign more than watching, don't want to go down that road again!

I deserve some happiness! Recently my team lost to local rivals in RL grand final the GB got stuffed by the Aussies, I need a winter distraction until next season!

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's always the risk. :D

9. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was way back in 2002. I probably stopped Teaking early 2003! Then I upgraded my MB and CPU, then I discover FFDSHOW.

Now I have a good picture, no stutter and I am happy, so hopefully I will leave it alone.

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nick,

I'd be interested in all your FFDShow settings as I to am viewing via a BG808S. Most people appear to be using Digital PJ's so their settings are meaningless for us Analogue guys :)

Steve

11. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

Last night was my first success with resize. I used the SSE version of FFDSHOW 20041012 (I think). I have Blur first (Gradual Dnoise set to about 8 or 9) although not sure if this makes much difference yet.

Then I resize to 1280x720 with Lancos parameter set to 4, no Chroma sharpenign or any other setting. This is my desktop resolution and one the Barco seems happiest with.

Final I use the unsharpen mask at about 12, which just gives a touch more detail.

This is within Theatretek 2.0.Patch 5, using NVVPP as the first postprocessor and FFDSHOW as the second.

More detail than with DXVA and looks pretty smooth on the old pans too, but I may change these slightly as I watch more fillm. Especially poorer transfers which sharpen can actually make worse.

I'll try and update this Thread once I have experimented a bit more and try to confirm my final settings.

I think resize has made a difference even without the sharpening. I don't want to over process the image, hence a low unsharpen mask setting, and I think I have acheived a good compromise of detail v obvious digital enhancement of the picture. Certainly The Day after Tomorrow, Return of the Jedi and Return of the kign all looked great.

I'd say I have the best PQ since I got my projector in 2002. These may change as my PJ is prety old and could do with a re-convergence.

Cheers

Nick