1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDshow and Windows Mce

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by dazzer123, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    H i am having problems with my FFDshow and Theatertek setup the problem this is after having the two work very well together i have now installed Windows Xp Mce edition and while Theatertek work's alone when i tell it to use FFDshow Theatertek crashes or gives me an error to report to Microsoft pleae tell me i can use FFDshow with Xp Mce.

I have also installed a trial version of Zoom Player and this is the same works on it's own but as soon as you tell it to use FFDshow it crashes to desktop anybody have any ideas on how to get FFDshow to work with Mce.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you done the usual checks in cases of FFDSHOW crashes on startup, such as ensuring RAW is configured properly and that if you're playing PAL that you've told it to do so?

3. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi basically I have set it up as per the guide here http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1
    Although I do mainly play NTSC where at the moment I am trying to get it to play pal but did not know of any setting in FFDshow for Pal as for raw video I have set it to all supported.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Assuming you're using the nVidia codecs, Search on here for the registry setting needed to play PAL, it was been posted very recently .. I did it :) .. look for "ForcePal".

5. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi downloaded the latest version of FFDshow 20050122 and I can confirm that it resolves the Pal/NTSC problem and removes the need for the FORCEPAL setting only thing is now I appear to have lost audio in Theatertek it is set to use spdif maybe I will try a reinstall of Theatertek.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Has that release appeared in the usual FFDSHOW repositories? I saw a message on AVS mentioning this version but the URL given was not one of the recognised places FFDSHOW has appeared in in the past so I was a bit sceptical.

[edit]

Just looked on Sourceforge, it's not there, I'm a bit suspicious, are you sure this is legit?

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That was the version I'm using, no idea where it came from though.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's a small thread on AVS where this version is being discussed, a URL for downloading it is given there.

9. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well it certainly seem's to work regards the Pal issue but as i say i have lost audio via Theatertek, although i still have audio via zoom player surely this has nothing to do with FFDshow as Theatertek is set use Spdif and default direct sound device ?

10. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry bit of a tangent but i didnt realise you needed to use a force pal mode in ffd, thing is everything works, am i missing something or is ffdshow converting everything to 30fps. This might explain why i thought everything looked better at 60hz when i compared to 50hz. Im using all pal sources. Sorry for my ignorance as i don’t really understand everything in any great depth, so apologies if my question or logic seems senseless.

As i mentioned i think the 60hz setting is much smoother but from what people tell me 50hz should be better for pal. I used ati catalyst centre to run 50hz and i was wondering whether this was the problem and if going to powerstrip would help?

I was just about to start another thread but i might as well ask here now ive posted but i am currently using theatretek and ffdshow for dvds and a program called pvr+ for my tv card. Thing is ffdshow hijacks pvr+ and starts scaling but causes stutters that it doesn’t with Theatertek (only running a slightly overclocked athlon xp3200 using hcpc news guide guidelines to ffdshow). Could this be something to do with the pal settings? and if it cant be resolved is there a box i can tick/untick in the ffdshow settings to avoid it scaling the tv card picture.

Thanks guys, not intending to hijack the thread just in need of a little help.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dazzer:

No you're right, FFDSHOW has nothing to do with audio so your experience is puzzling.

whats_this:

Since you're using TheaterTek which since 2.05 has set this value for you by auto-detecting the type of DVD it's playing, hence you wouldn't have been aware of this issue .. previous releases of TT had a 'Force PAL' option in the config. dialog. There is no PAL->NTSC conversion going on.

What do you mean by 60hz looking better? The fundamental reason for playing NTSC at 60hz (or 48) and PAL at 50hz is to eliminate judder usually noticeable on slow, wide camera pan and is a result of the frame-rate that these TV standards use. Is this what you're talking about?

As for FFDSHOW interfering with PVR+, this is something I've not got to grips with myself, I find FFD getting used when I use a freeware media player and there's no way the FFD is configured in there, clearly its' setting itself up to be included in all video graphs and I don't yet know why.