FFDshow and PWD8

andyr300

i have a PWD8 running at 1280x720 from my HTPC.

i use MCE for live tv,and windows media player or VLC for playin XVID/X264 movies.

i have ffdshow and nvidia purevideo installed (both the latest versions as far as i can tell,well nvidia is,not too sure about ffdshow as the website is confusing at times...)

how can i get the best out of each?as far as i can see there is nothing i can do about live tv,as the purevideo codec has few options,i have selected VMR9 deinterlace mode at best available and deinterlace control at automatic...are these the best settings?

i am not sure where to start in ffdshow,at the moment i have nothing selected except for post-processin which was enabled by default. wot settings shall i use to get the best out of xvid movies?they cnan occasionally look a little blurry compared to the live tv

any help would be much appreciated!

arfster

Novice Member
For lowres xvid, postprocessing can be useful if you see blocking in the image. A big resize is easy also, because resolution is so low to start with it doesn't eat a lot of cpu cycles.

However, at the end of the day a 1mbit bitrate doesn't give a lot of data for the HTPC to work with, especially if it's badly encoded as so many are - 2mbit ones can be quite impressive though, often surpassing DVDs because of the higher res.

For live TV, i prefer to use other non-MCE apps that support ffdshow, because of the scaling and particularly denoising. You could perhaps configure MCE to launch a non-MCE app, which is then usable via a remote.

jamieuk23

Banned
Hi mate stick with NVdia codec for TV.

FFDSHOW has many funtions that can be used for many diffrent things.

I personaly like many people use FFDSHOW to upscale standard DVD`s to HD resolutions which will make a vast inprovment over stadard DVD or even xvid.

One thing to consider thou is that FFDSHOW uses a lot of CPU power so you will need a half decent HTPC to be able to make full use of it.

If you let me no what your CPU is I will let you no if you can upscale and sharpen movies etc.. pointless me telling you if your PC cant do it

andyr300

i have an athlon 3000+ and 1024mb ram, and a nvidia 6150 graphics chip.

i am happy with the quality of live tv, its very good!just want to sort out those XVID files,some of them do loook awful

arfster

Novice Member
If you name a particular file, we could perhaps dl and have a look at it - with xvids so much depends on how well it was encoded, given how ridiculously low the bitrates typically are.

PM me with the filename if you don't want to name it on the forums.

jamieuk23

Banned
andyr300 said:
i have an athlon 3000+ and 1024mb ram, and a nvidia 6150 graphics chip.

i am happy with the quality of live tv, its very good!just want to sort out those XVID files,some of them do loook awful
Hi mate to upscale xvid or DVD`s to your native resolution of your display 720p you really need a min 3200+ CPU or your PC will just start to play the movies in slow motion.

andyr300

arfster said:
If you name a particular file, we could perhaps dl and have a look at it - with xvids so much depends on how well it was encoded, given how ridiculously low the bitrates typically are.

PM me with the filename if you don't want to name it on the forums.

i watch all sorts of xvid movies...some very well encoded 1400mb rips and sum terrrible blurry looking smaller rips.im fiddling with the options in ffdshow,its looking better already

H

hardhousehead

I currently have a laptop with dual core 1.66ghz cpu, 1gig ram and geforce go 7600 gfx (which according to nvidia supports HD) but when I use ffdshow to upscale divx and xvid files, the quality is poor and its all noisy. I have tried diffrent options in ffdshow and nothing changes. When I turn ffdshow off, it looks very good. Also dont see an improvment with dvd's either. Am I doing something wrong? I am using Theater Tek dvd and bsplayer pro.

arfster

Novice Member
What ffdshow options are you using? It should be Lanczos option 2. Also make sure you have colour space set to YV12 only.

When it's properly setup, there's no way it should be worse than default scaling.

H

hardhousehead

I cant find lanczos option in the ffdshiw config options

andyr300

in the resize and aspect window setting....on the left look to where it says settings as a sub menu

then under luma/chroma methods u shld be able to select lanczos

H

hardhousehead

ok thanks
il try that and see what happens
also do you know if my laptop can scale better then a samsung hd860 dvd upscaler?

Top Bottom