1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FF/Rewinding Long Tracks on Sony NW-HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DougieCM, Jul 8, 2005.

1. DougieCM

DougieCM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Sony NW-HD3 and I tend to listen to a lot of DJ Mixes which are usually between 80-120 minutes long. The one annoyance I have is when it comes to ff/rewinding through the mix it takes seven days and one week to get through it.

Is there any way or crack to speed this process up? I am aware that on a HD5 you can pause and then FF through the track rapid but there is no pause button as such on the HD3.

Thanks in advance.

Dougie.

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    If you purchase an RM-MC40ELK remote for your player I believe you will have the same PAUSE FF / FRW functionality as the NW-HD5.

Used to do this with my NW-HD1 so I can confirm it works on that player (imagine it will be the same for the NW-HD3).

3. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Someone asked me about fast-forwarding in a PM a while back so I did a test on my HD3.

Firstly I tried the fastforward from the unit itself, pressing play at the beggining of the track and then holding down fastforward. I went forward until 20 mins of the track had passed and that took 2 mins (I did it twice to check).

Then I tried the same using my remote, but pausing first and it took 12.5 seconds to get 20 minutes into the track, so it is quite a difference!!

I just thought I'd mention it to show how much of a difference it makes having the remote for this scenario, in case you're worried whether its worth the extra expenditure.

4. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Tip in the "MP3 FAQ" Forum/Thread explains how its possible to "split" audio files in Sonic Stage. So rather than fast forwarding you can select the track you want in the mix.

Ok, splitting the track will take sometime todo.

Note: You can only "split" ATRAC files in Sonic Stage. Although; i know seamless playback is possible on the HD3, I don't know if splitting the tracks up will affect seamless play.

5. jimton

jimton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    how do i go about doind this? IAm in the same boat as Dougie :)

6. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Load Sonic Stage :suicide: . Or click Sonic Stage and go make yourself a cup of tea/coffee. Should be half loaded when you get back. :rolleyes:

Tap F1 on the keybroad or go to help.

Once help has loaded click the 'search' tab. Type "Dividing" into the field and seach. You should find some useful results. Read the notes carefully. It seems like it splits up the original audio files. So I would consider making a backup copy of the original track that your about to split.

As it says in the notes you cannot split tracks that are already on the player so your going to have to transfer the tracks again.

Not tried this myself so i cannot guarantee any useful results.

7. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Althought---- i've just had a try, i seem to be getting copy right restrictions. A possible way to get around this, which again i don't know will work is to use another sound ripping programme and save the file as a wav. Then import it into sonic stage allowing it to convert to ATRAC, and then dividing as you would have before. I would consider this alittle much for little results. Also the sound quailty may be reduced dependant on the source.

CD would be fine with no reduction in quality as long as the wav is saved directly from the CD

MP3 will sound awful as once you have it on your player the file will have been compressed and decompressed twice.

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Practically speaking, no. And even on pause withthe HD5 it takes a fair amount of time to go through mega long tracks. I dispense with the HD5 when I want to listen to long recordings, and load up the iPod, Karma or the JB3 instead. Actually, I've pretty much dispensed with the HD5 altogether but that's beside the point :devil: