Few speakers to give max sound?

daps

Standard Member
Now I've got a LCD TV is there a set of two or three speakers on the market what would enhance the TV/DVD sound from the front only. I don't mind wires near the TV but dont want any wires running around the room.
Thanks
Alan

ging32

Hi Alan

Are you looking at floorstanders or stand mounts? What sort of set-up do you have at present? Finally do you have a rough budget in mind?

daps

Standard Member
I dont mind really as long as they are smallish. Something not too ugly. I tried the Bose 321 system. Although the speakers were small and stylish the big black box with the brains in was too big to go behind 40inch Sony flat screen. I also thought it was way over priced for what it was. I have a pair of stands for the speakers if need be.
Its just something to put the sound around the room if such a thing exists without 6 speakers. I dont mind the cost of its decent.
Thanks
Alan

ging32

Have you thought about one of the Yamaha sound projectors. I have heard one and they really do work although you would need to add a sub to get the low frequencies. That would sit nicely under your TV but not behind it.

Bee-Man

Alan,

Good enough sound from a 3.1 format if you wont miss the surround from the rear, but are happy enough with a very good soundstage. This is my present temporary set up and I am surprised how good it sounds. if wires running to the back is not a welcome idea. (IMHO)

A moderate proced AV receiver (the 5.1's are probably the most sensible to look at as there are a few in every major brand that do the business and sound pretty darn good. Yamaha RXV-359 springs to mind as one of many.

Match two fronts with a dedicated centre speaker and a decent sub is probably the best bang for your buck at the moment.

I think for movie/TV that sats or bookshelfs are fine. Mordaunt shorts are getting a lot of love here at the moment. Not to difficult to find decent speakers and economy, Wharfedale are one brand that offer good value for what you get (Diamond 9.1 series)

If you have the patience, second hand gear buys you far more than brand new.....

Good luck.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Yam 359 and 2 x MS902 and MS905 will do a superb job. Chuck in a MS309 sub at your leisure and you get a decent stab at music too.

Otherwise, Yam AV59 @ £228 and bung the rears.

daps

Standard Member
Thank You to all.. Have printed this list/suggestions and will be certainly doing my homework this week-end.. Its certainly give me a taster. A lot cheaper than the Bose as well.
Regards
Alan