Few questions regarding future HD channels...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gangst, Aug 2, 2006.

1. gangst

gangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've got Sky HD coming Friday and am looking forward to getting it. I was wondering are there any rumours as to more HD channels coming to Sky?

I did see an article a while ago that an American broadcaster may release two HD channels, a fashion one and an extreme sports one, any truth in this?

Are there any other rumours as to mnore HD channles, and what sort of channles they will be?

Also, this year how many Premiership matches will Setanta Sports be showing, and is there a chance of them starting an HD channel to rival Sky Sports HD?

Thanks

2. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Regarding Setanta sports showing premier league.
    They do not have rights to any of this upcoming seasons matches. They have some of the following seasons (2007-2008) games.
    Dont know if they will be showing any of those in HD, not sure they have the capabilty.
    The only other extra channel that I know of for sure is Sky Sports2 HD which should be starting at the weekend.

3. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Regarding Sentanta showing matches in HD next season 07/08 I am near certain they will do as like Sky they just contract an outside broadcast company to film the action currently using Visions and Telegenic.
    as far as im aware no contracts though have been signed yet though to film it.

4. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    But what about broadcasting HD? I very much doubt Santana will invest in the extra equipment and bandwidth to broadcast 20 odd (forget exactly how many they got in the end) matches a season in HD.

5. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well Sentanta wouldnt have to invest in that much extra equipment as the OB company provide all the facilities and they having been doing the same sort of thing for Sky since Christmas time although thats sent to Sky first before uplinking. as it will then be sent from Stadium by BT through a couple of POP centres to Telecom tower who will then send it to Arqiva to uplink to transponder and down to your HD box I would expect them to have a Sentanta HD channel as well as standard version.

6. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wow, it all sounds so simple. Think I might set up my own HD channel....

The fact of the matter is that for Sentanta to have an HD channel in addition to their SD channel will cost them extra money, for the EPG slot, for bandwidth, for whatever else it takes in terms of HD studio cameras, production equipment. And what extra revenue are they going to get back for this? Bugger all. I can't see anyone subscribing to them just because they are doing the footy in HD. Even this time next year the % of Sky subscribers who have SkyHD will be very small and then the % of those who would subcribe to Sentanta for the footy even smaller. It's just not worth it for them. While I'd love to see it happen I don't believe it will.

7. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    All the studio work will be done at the ground by OB company so only extra cost would be as you say extra channel and epg fees. Obviously they havent worked out pricing structure yet but home viewers is only small stake of earnings the big money is made on pubs and clubs showing the games as im told its £100+ to show ppv games, plus as host broadcaster revenue from companies using the feed to be shown worldwide and i know that Canal + will definitly want the pictures in HD as will many broadcasters.

8. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    And how many pubs and clubs have you seen with HD setups? How many brought in the punters by showing the World Cup in HD? I didn't see a single one. Most pubs I've seen football in show it on terrible projectors which aren't even SD never mind them investing in HD. Sure pubs will sign up to show Sentanta's matches, but only in SD. No more pubs will sign up if Sentanta do the footy in HD as well.