Few questions from LCD newbie - What to look for?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by jimmybee, May 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jimmybee

jimmybee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking into getting my first LCD TV. I want something about 23" for the bedroom that is HD ready (obviously 1080 is out of the question for that size?) - I like the Samsungs (R87 / R88?) but need to know what to look out for to get the best possible set...

So:

- How will a 720p image be scaled on a 1366 x 768 (16:10) screen? Will it stretch the 16:9 image to fill screen (annoying!!) or give me a slight letterbox?

- Could someone give me a definition what is the best 'type' of panel I should look out for? I've seen various posts talking about 'S-PVA' and 'AUO' ?? What does this mean? Will one or other have a bearing on the likeliness of pixel burnout? (My main concern when looking at LCDs)

- What type/make of LCDs will give me the best SD signal at the moment? I won't be feeding it HD yet, but want to futureproof as much as poss.

- How important is it to get a panel with a built in digital tuner? I have a Sony Freeview box, will picture quality suffer in SD if I connect that via RGB scart instead of onboard tuner?

Thanks for any advice, I know some may sound very niave, but I've waited a long time for LCD pictures to be acceptable compared to CRTs..always been VERY disappointed until recently!

..We have a professional Sony LMD HD broadcast monitor at work and it looks DREADFUL compared to my broadcast CRT, even comparing HD-SDI to analogue component!

Cheers,
    Jim.