1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

few questions from a new dlp fan about sets and the hardware..

Discussion in 'TVs' started by weebroonieuk, Dec 18, 2004.

1. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have always had my heart set on a lcd set as there better than plasmas in some respects and especially in picture quality usually ,
    the other day me and a friend walked into comet and saw the set on display and i was amased once i got nearer the set to see that it wasnt an lcd or plasma set
    the feed it was getting was f1 raceing from wm9 and it was stunning , much better than any picture i have seen from previous rear projection sets which really put them out of my thoughts

now i want a sagem , but is there better dlp sets than the sagem im looking for ideally 50" , will there be new sets with improvements just around the corner , i wont be buying till after christmas anyways and im in no rush
    so what would you guys reccomend ?

p.s. what is the set like when connected to the likes of a playstation2 or a home theatre pc which will be my choice for playing dvds and all my xvid encodeings and the occasional pc game .

hmm had a look around at some specs is it true that the sagem doesnt have 100 hz or progressive scan ?
    i saw the samsung sp50 set and it has these two options although more expensive things like this could sway me towards the samsung :confused:

2. key

key

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, new to this forum thing but might be able to help you out a little.
    I jumped in the deep end this week and bought the Sagem Axium. Like you i thought it was the best value for money tv out there. 50", DLP, HDTV ready etc... etc...
    What home cinema mag has it in there editors system of the month (jan05 edition) and home cinema choice also gives it a glowing review.
    I know these reports aren't always believable but together with the other info you gather i made my mind up.
    The sagem does have Progressive scan on the av7 component video socket but my dvd player (toshiba 330eSB) doesn't have P.S. so its connected into the AV6 component video socket via Monster HDTV component cables and the picture is amazing.
    I cannot find info on the 100hz even in the manual which probably means that its not although i dont think this matters if the picture is so good anyway.
    Two things to watch are that the shops showing off this tv usually have it connected to a pc running HDTV signals which i believe wont be available in the u.k. till 2006.
    The second thing is that you have to sit at least 5 metres away from the tv so that you dont see the pixelation which if you have a small room might be a problem.

Having said all that i have just paid 2300 gbp for the tv and stand and am well impressed it may be a bit big for my room but what the hell. Ill just have to move to a bigger house.

Hope this helps

3. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol thanks for your help thing is im going to be useing it for my bedroom at the moment untill i buy my first house (dont want to have a house warming party without the huge tv ;) )

i seen the wm9 hd formula 1 demo and was very impressed most of my viewing is movies through an htpc i want all my dvds backed up onto a hard drive in xvid format so i can just select the film from a nice menu with the hassle of changeing dvds , which also keeps the dvds in mint condition !

my other main uses will be playstation gameing i plan to buy component cable for it
    and i might buy an xbox aswell since there so cheap , have you tried gameing with either of these yet ?
    and have you tried it with a pc connected even a laptop since this will be my main interest

for tv viewing i will have telewest

Thanks for your time ! :)

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Toshiba 52" DLP due soon.

5. key

key

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haven't had chance to rig up the xbox or pc yet. Can't get the bloody kids off fox kids. AAAAAAAGHGh!!
    Will post if and when i get chance to try it out

6. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) thanks , do you have the upgraded av leads for the xbox to give u the hi defenition signals ?
    i think the tosh 52 might be starting to get too big but , if its better connected with better picture qualityan features i will buy that instead :)

7. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got the sagem and have played the ps2 on it a few times with no problems at all. Although, again , you just have to be at the right distance. Sit too close and you will see a smearing effect or blurryness. Anywhere over 6foot is fine though.Have also hooked my pc up via av5 vga and is fine also.