• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

few questions for a noob

flux0r

Established Member
i am moving from an all in one system(s) to some separates, i already got the Eltax floorstandings, monirots, center and sub sorted, just need to buy the AV Receiver now. looking at maybe the onkyo 507 or YAMAHA RXV365, but just to ask, do they handle audio over HDMi?

SWMBO doesnt wnt the surround sound on all the time, ie just watching sky or when our daughters in bed, so will all the connected devices still have audio on the tv?

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The yamaha 365 Doesn't do audio over HDMI, so don't buy. The Onkyo 507 does.

You want an amp that does 'HDMI passthrough' for the functionality you want re running without an amp switched on.

Most of the 2009 released amps had that , but it is worth checking if the 507 has it. If you want to go down the yamaha route, the 465 or 565 does HDMI audio and I'm pretty sure has HDMI passthrough. The Denon 1610 is also an option in that price range.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Also I find that I can actually listen to the TV quieter through the surround sound system. This is because the extra clarity the speakers/reciever give means I can turn it lower than I could the TV and still hear everything. You will also find a lot of recievers have a Dynamic Range Control or Night mode which compresses the volume range and hence allows a lower overall volume to be used.
I use my surround sound system for all my viewing and I have a 4 yo son and I have done this from when he was born.

Duke

Established Member
...I use my surround sound system for all my viewing and I have a 4 yo son and I have done this from when he was born.

PSM - you're spoiling that child:D

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A Pioneer Kuro, Arcam reciever and PMC speakers is a little overkill for Ben 10 and Transformers animated!!!!! But Transformers the movie on bluray is stunning.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom