1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few questions before install of Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Pulsar, May 21, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello.

I have just ordered Sky+ which is due to be installed on Friday, I have 2 quick questions.

Firstly, should I be asking the installer for a particular Sky+ box? If so, why?

Secondly, Does the box HAVE to be connected to a phone line 24/7?

Cheers

Rob

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I think most will suggest the pace box, as for being plugged into the phone line 24/7 only if your signing a new 12 month contract or your having the multiroom package

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi ukdan.

Any reason why I should ask for a Pace box?

This is my first time with Sky, so I have been told it needs to be in the phone line, but why? How can they check?

Cheers

Rob

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You should ask for a Pace because this make suffers from far fewer problems than the Amstrad.

The price of the box is subsidised by advertisers on the interactive services, and Sky also sell viewers viewing patterns to interested parties. They do check, by commanding your box to "phone home" via the satellite (via a 0800 number & usually late at night).

5. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can ask for a Pace box but there is no guarantee that you will get one. As for Nick's statement about Sky selling your viewing pattern to other parties, that is cr*p. The phone connection is used to access some of the interactive services, and the card also stores the information about which Box Office pay per view movies and events you have ordered. This is so that Sky know which ones to bill you for.

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The phone line isn't a problem, I was just curious. I shall do my best to get a Pace box then, we shall see what happens.

Cheers

Rob

7. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my multiroom on a different phone line and they mailed me and complained. Basically had to have all boxes plugged into the same phone line. I'm guessing they have a deal with BT/NTL/whoever. I think I'm right in saying that it's only used if you use the pathetically slow interactive stuff anyway. Used to be great 5 years ago (when I first got it), for example with ordering Dominos pizza. Used to only go online when you were actually ordering. Now has to do it for the whole process. They say it's to make sure you get the proper menu for the local area. Like it's going to differ much. So it makes it all *SLLLLOOOOWWWWWWW* and really annoying. Haven't ordered from there since. W**kers for making a good thing sh*te.

As to boxes, my non-Sky+ box is a Panasonic. Don't know about the latest Pace boxes, but everyone with a non-Panasonic commented on how much faster the Panasonic was at everything. As far as I'm concerned my Sky+ box (Thomson 160) is about the same speed or maybe even slightly slower. And most places I've read up on reckon the 160 is a good bit faster than most other boxes.

Cheers

8. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The reason they insist multiroom boxes are plugged into the same phone number is to ensure that they are in the same house.

Otherwise you could get a multiroom subscription and give one of the boxes to a friend !!

As for the earlier remarks about selling your viewing patterns, for Sky+ users at least, I would say this is for real - they do ask if you mind them doing this when you sign up for Sky+.