few questions before getting my first OLED TV (LG CX)

kofman13

Novice Member
Reaction score
So i had a Vizio $500 55 inch 4K LED tv that i got in 2016. It died last week for good. Every since i started having OLED screens on every cellphone i own, i am in love with OLED and i want to splurge this time and get the best TV which i guess is OLED. I am looking to get the LG CX 55 inch or 48 inch. 55 inch seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US. I have a few questions in general.
How is the longevity of OLED in general? is Burn in a realistic issue these days? i will be watching random youtube, movies, shows, not much news. and if it is news it would be an hour a day. how is general longevity of OLED TVs in terms of just normal use and not DYING from a dead power supply like my Vizio?
How is LG's warranty service if something were to happen in the first year? how would they even fix or replace, not like i can easily ship a 55 inch OLED panel especially without the original box.
Are there any downsides of getting an LG CX over say another top of the line LED like samsung QLED? any trade offs going with an OLED TV? I read something about flickering in shadows for HDR content with OLED. is that true? does that also happen with LED? ive never had an HDR TV.
Do you find that LG WebOS is limited in terms of apps compared to Android tv on Sony, or Tizen on samsung? I never really used TV apps before because i just use my Apple TV 4K, and there are some limitations, like the Youtube app on apple TV doesnt play 4K, etc. but i never cared because i didnt have the best TV, no hdr etc.

Useful facts from dodgexander:
  • The risk of burn in with OLEDs is actually less than it was in the Plasma days. It's no more likely to happen now than then.
  • Its not only OLEDs that can suffer from burn in, abuse any type of display (even LCD) and you can get burn in. Just take a look at some of the old LCDs in pubs.
  • Youtube is full of people claiming to be experts and misleading people, do not believe everything you watch on Youtube. I don't want to name and shame but there are some really laughable content creators out there who literally will say anything to make a few extra views. Do not believe their rubbish! I am sure if you read this, you know the kind of channels I am talking about.
From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.
Data on 97,554 TVs owned by Consumer Reports members who purchased a new set between 2010 and 2018 has been collected. Many of these TVs are OLEDs. If Burn In was a common problem I am sure Consumer Reports would mention it.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

Atomicus of Chichester

One thing that seems abundantly apparent is that while by no means should it be suggested that burn-in doesn't exist, the problem is nowhere near as widespread or as much a certainty as some people fear and/or lead others to believe.

Last edited:
So i had a Vizio $500 55 inch 4K LED tv that i got in 2016. It died last week for good. Every since i started having OLED screens on every cellphone i own, i am in love with OLED and i want to splurge this time and get the best TV which i guess is OLED. I am looking to get the LG CX 55 inch or 48 inch. 55 inch seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US. I have a few questions in general.
How is the longevity of OLED in general? is Burn in a realistic issue these days? i will be watching random youtube, movies, shows, not much news. and if it is news it would be an hour a day. how is general longevity of OLED TVs in terms of just normal use and not DYING from a dead power supply like my Vizio?
How is LG's warranty service if something were to happen in the first year? how would they even fix or replace, not like i can easily ship a 55 inch OLED panel especially without the original box.
Are there any downsides of getting an LG CX over say another top of the line LED like samsung QLED? any trade offs going with an OLED TV? I read something about flickering in shadows for HDR content with OLED. is that true? does that also happen with LED? ive never had an HDR TV.
Do you find that LG WebOS is limited in terms of apps compared to Android tv on Sony, or Tizen on samsung? I never really used TV apps before because i just use my Apple TV 4K, and there are some limitations, like the Youtube app on apple TV doesnt play 4K, etc. but i never cared because i didnt have the best TV, no hdr etc.

Too many questions in one post mate! For burn in- see above. Don't worry about it. For PQ and HDR OLED is the best, far better than LED / QLED.

Buy your LG OLED, sit back and enjoy it.

I have had the E6 from new, which is on for a couple or 3 hours every night with a mix of films, telly and news. No sport or games so no static images for hours.

Zero signs of burn-in but constant fabulous pictures. At the moment I wouldn't consider anything but an OLED, not least because of the blacks. Our room is on the dark side, even in the daytime, and most of our viewing is at night with all the lights off. If I watched content in bright light then I might not choose an OLED. But otherwise, OLED all the way until a superior technology emerges.

We do get occasional black crushing, especially just above blacks with compressed content. But our set is now several generations old and as far as I know it is not an issue or much much less these days. We rarely notice it, and never with 4k disc content.

WebOS is brilliant, as is the magic remote. I believe Freeview play is still unavailable on the CX (I never use it anyway) but everything else is and the apps are excellent.

My view, unless you watch in bright light, go for it.

OLEDs do suffer from raised blacks, flickering in Dolby Vision but its not a huge deal for most people; and only visible in a dark room (lights off) in SOME content. Every TV set, whether the owners notice it or not, seem to have some issues with DV as per most good independant reviewers. I don't think this is a dealbreaker and shouldn't be a factor in you not buying an OLED panel. It likely will not affect you and if it does, it'll affect 0.05% of your viewing.
The motion on OLEDs is a step back for films and TV but its amazing for games. This is due to a technical limitation of having an instant pixel response time which sadly doesn't produce an inherent motion blur which LCD panels do.
Burn-in isn't an issue.
Reliability is similar to every comparable product on the market.
LG's warranty is great, especially in the US.
LG's OS is the best in the business.

Downsides versus QLED would be the risk of burn-in, the brightness of the panel, the full field nit brightness, 5% grey scale banding (which is dependant on panel lottery) and this year's OLEDs have had a grid-like structure on a white bright screen which some people have been sensitive to and called it DSE.

From the sounds of things, you are not a videophile and probably more a casual user so the OLED should blow you away.

Despite its shortcomings compared to an LCD display, it is IMO the superior best TV technology on the market and coupled with the HDMI 2.1 gaming features and the OLED panel, the best gaming display on the market. It has loads of advantages over an LCD panel I haven't mentioned because you didn't ask for them so please don't let my very clinical comparisons with the QLED detract you from the fact than an OLED is the best on the market (although not perfect but no consumer available TV ever has been)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom