Few questions before buying new TV - 70" or ideally bigger

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Fat_Tony, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    First of all thanks to the regulars who take the time to answer these questions, its always my first place to look when I'm buying a new TV - not sure where you get the patience lol

My current TV is a 58" Panasonic DX750 HDR 4k etc etc - its a lovely TV and at the time it was the maximum size I could fit in the available space. With hindsight I wish I had gone bigger so thats the plan now.

Im looking upto 75" - these 2 options jumped out today

SAMSUNG UE75MU6100 75" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

LG 70UJ675V 70" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

The Samsung is £1700 and that would probably be the top end of my budget.

Ive never owned a TV this huge, is there anything other than space to factor in? My seats are probably about 10-12ft away, Ill need to measure that.

Whats the verdict on the curved TVS? I like the look of them personally, but it does seem a fairly pointless fad.

Personally, and I know many will completely disagree - but I don't see a huge difference in my latest upgrades. Im still not sure the 4k blurays are worth it over regular blurays given the extra expense, same with the HDR. I suppose the point I'm making is that I would rather have a huge screen with a decent picture than go smaller to have an even better picture. Prior to my Panasonic I've always had LG's or Samsung.

Its going to be mainly used for 4k blurays, PS4 Pro, a bit of Sky TV, and netflix.

Of course I want the best I can get for my budget, and I accept I probably need to spend more to get the best. If I can go bigger and still have a picture as good as my panasonic I would be delighted.

Totally open to alternative suggestions - it doesn't need to be 75" but I suspect anything less than 70 wouldn't b noticeable enough increase on my current TV.

Thanks

2. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Any thoughts on this? I think the prices are only valid for today

Im leaning towards not rushing and waiting to do more research - I think both are HDR but not HDR 10? Does that make much difference? I think the same issue applied to my current TV which as I've stated I'm quite happy with the picture on.

If I go for one of these two I suspect it would be the Samsung, I just want the biggest I can get with no drop in my current image quality. Im not expecting improvements without spending more money.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    My main concern going for a larger TV with your budget would be HDR quality. So if you don't mind forgoing any kind of decent HDR then there is no harm in going bigger.

The main difference between those two TVs is the panel type. On the LG you get IPS which gives you wider viewing angles whilst the Samsung will use VA which means better PQ overall when viewed head on.

You will also be moving from a TV with a 120hz panel to a 60hz panel with either of those TVs. May not be much of a problem as long as you don't find you need to turn motion options on on your current TV.

HDR performance on the two mentioned will be almost exactly the same as your current TV. No better or worse, so you already have an idea what to expect in that respect.

4. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    That's really helpful thank you, I've read a few of your posts today and hoped you would reply.

I'm leaning towards the Samsung really as I think I'll possibly regret going smaller.

5. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    My home cinema has two rows of cinema seating looking head on so viewing angles isn't an issue thankfully

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Despite the ever decreasing deadline timer on the site, prices seem to be exactly the same today. I think not getting caught up in the hype and ordering before midnight was a good idea, I still need to check a few measurements etc prior to pulling the trigger.

From anyones experience, whats the ideal viewing distance for a TV of that size (75") - I certainly don't want to be too close but my cinema seats are fixed into the floor and cant be moved.

7. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Any thoughts on this one? Its a bit more than I planned to spend but does have a cash back offer to get some free extra kit (UHD player, sound bar, sub etc)

What specifically do you look for when comparing the TVs - I'm trying to improve my own knowledge a bit

Thanks

Samsung 75 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR 1000 Smart LED TV TVPlus

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    It depends if you are talking about the typical "comfortable" viewing distance or the viewing distance required to be optimum for UHD content. You can read about both here: TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Its a mid range model and adds a 120hz panel, twin tuners and freesat compared to the MU6100 amongst other small features. It might be worth getting this model when you already have a TV thats a 120hz panel..but again you really want to be aiming on using motion enhancements to benefit from the increased panel hz since no content is going to be above 60hz anyway.

Its difficult to compare because manufacturers are not honest with their specifications. Samsung for example do not even mention the panel hz of a TV.
    HDR is another one, every TV no matter how well they display HDR will be advertised as being a "HDR TV" because it accepts a HDR signal. There is a big difference between accepting the signal and displaying it. If you want a 75" model that does a decent job at displaying it you are looking at spending a lot more money at this size (Sony 75XE9005 minimum) or for good HDR (Sony 75XE9405 minimum).

I wouldn't judge or choose a TV only looking at retailers and manufacturers websites but instead good sources of reviews like here on AVF.

There is a lot of info in the guides in my signature too which may help you.

9. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks again, I really appreciate your input - its one of the few purchases I get very anxious about because unlike most things, I cant seem to easily sell on a massive TV when I'm ready to upgrade. Its incredible the major manufacturers can be so vague or deliberately misleading - its an issue I've often had with LG in the past.

Im sure I could spend £5k on a TV and still be longingly looking at the £6k model so I think this one is the most I'm prepared to spend right now.

My viewing distance matches that one in your link almost exactly - the back of my chair is 3.25 metres from the screen. My current cinema set up has a 58" screen nestled in amongst the furniture (ikea unit which goes down either side of the TV and a solid row of cupboards across the top of the TV) All that is going to have to go to make room for such a huge screen. Im trying to knock up a piece of cardboard or something to the exact dimensions of the TV so I can see what I have to work with. Its insanely big but I think will really add the wow factor to my cinema. As I've said, I realise everyones requirements are different but if I can get something close to my current picture quality, on the much bigger screen, then ill be happy enough. The reviews I've seen also say its a good choice for gaming which is one of my main uses.

Do you have any thoughts on the HDR on this TV? In the review thread for it, some seem to feel its "proper" HDR whereas others are saying its the lesser version that cheaper TVs tend to use. I think my Panasonic 58" is perhaps the same lesser HDR version.

Thanks again, I would be lost without the advice I get on these boards and just have to trust the salesman in Currys :)

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    The HDR on the MU7000 will be almost exactly the same as on your current TV. It isn't really a HDR TV as it doesn't have any form of local dimming or peak brighness. As I said you'd need to look at the Sony XE9005 minimum to at least get decent HDR.

If you are looking for HDR then you must go for that model or the XE9405 for good HDR.

If you are looking for something similar to your current model then I don't think there will be much of a difference between the Samsung MU6100 and MU7000 if you don't use motion enhancements. I don't think its worth paying the extra for the Samsung MU7000 but if you use HDR its definitely worth the extra for the Sony XE9005/XE9405.

Your viewing distance is on-par with the recommended distance based on comfortable field of view. It is not the within the viewing distance to be optimal for UHD content and at that viewing distance you will struggle to notice a difference with UHD content. Take a look the resolution chart in the link, not just the calculator and field of view chart.