Few questions about Sound Level meter.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Andris L, May 1, 2007.

1. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Probably it has been asked 100 times before but forgive my nuisance and I’d rather ask it once more than do something wrong…

OK, I’m looking forward to calibrate my speakers and as I never done it I had a quick look around to gather some information and my understanding is that when I’m using Sound Level Meter I should set it up to 80dB, C weighting and slow response. Then I just need to sit in my normal listening position and play test tone and turn up volume on amp until I get reading of 75dbB from left front speaker and then I should adjust the rest of speakers so they match the same level. My understanding is that if I get 75dB from left front speaker and, for example, 73dB from right front speaker then I should leave amp’s volume as it is and only change volume on particular channel (+ 2dB on right front channel to match 75dB), am I right?

I believe it works in the way I have explained above :rolleyes: so I had a quick look on my amp (Panasonic SA-XR700) last night and I couldn’t find an option to actually adjust level of each channel separately :confused:. Also I had a quick scan through Manual but nothing. I will take another look tonight but what to do if amp doesn’t have an option to fine tune each channel?

2. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    I started to panic for a moment but there was no reason for it because after better study of manual I found out that my amp has an option to adjust each speaker separately :).

What about the correct use of Sound Level Meter then, should it be used in the way I think it should?