Few problems with a NAD T775HD receiver, pick one and provide your thoughts please :)

rickebee

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello community,

I just have received a receiver that I bought. Model is NAD T775HD, which had upgraded its audio board by a AM230 Digital Audio Board, and its video board by a VM300 Digital Video board. I have few problems, so if you can help with one of those, many thanks and kudos !

Most of my tests were run with a nVidia Shield Pro, hooked on AVR with a HDMI 2.1 cable, and all those issues weren't present before, with a Marantz receiver.

Problem #1 : AC3 (Dolby Digital) playback not working WHEN PRECEDED BY A DTS PLAYBACK (yeah, that's right!)
  • All these tests are from Plex, an App inside the Shield Pro
  • Tested both with and without HDMI passthrough (without, I only get dull PCM Surround)
  • AC3 movie (MKV) playback is fine, logo DD light on the AVR
  • DTS movie (MKV) playback is fine, logo DTS light on the AVR
  • AC3 movie playback, followed by DTS movie playback is fine, DD logo is on, then goes off and DTS logo goes on
  • DTS movie playback, followed by AC3 movie playback NOT WORKING
    • DTS logo remains on
    • DD logo lights on the AVR
    • No sound at all
    • AVR remains stuck in this state
    • The only way I found is to play per se a Youtube video, which switches the AVR to PCM Stereo
Problem #2 : Dirac Live calibration impossible to get done
  • I always get the error "Low signal-to-noise ratio"
  • Followed instructions here : https://live.dirac.com/content/uploads/2019/05/dirac-live-quick-start-print-version.pdf
  • Using the original mic, with the USB adapter and the stereo-to-mono adapter
  • Tried with different MIC gains, from the bottom, to the max of the safe zone, to the max of the red zone
  • Adjusted the individual speaker gains to make them just in the beggining of the green zone
  • Have only activated the correct amount of speakers
  • Have tested many Master output levels, including a very loud test
  • Have tested the Mic in the NAD's USb port, the NAD's front Mic port (was not working at all), and in my laptop's USB port
  • The only time where I got a result is when I used only my laptop Mic, but the results were pretty bad
Problem #3 : Cannot read FLAC files at all
  • Playback is from Plex App, within nVidia Shield Pro
  • Playback was working fine with my previous Marantz AVR
  • On screen, playback starts, but no sound at all
  • NAD does not change sound mode at all, as if nothing was detected
Problem #4 : Firmware update check get stuck
  • When trying to look for firmware updates, it gets stuck in "Please wait" message, forever
  • Network connection is okay because I can connect with the NAD using Dirac Live Windows App
  • I can see the NAD's IP address
Problem #5 : Playback from Windows 10 always PCM Surround
  • NAD does not change its sound mode, always PCM Surround
  • Tests were done in Plex App, not within browser, since browsers doesn't handle 5.1
  • Windows sound is configured in 5.1
  • Windows detects my sound device as a NAD T775HD
  • Hooked in HDMI, with a HDMI 2.1 cable

So... if you all read this so far, first of all thank you for your time. Now, you may understand that my user experience is not, my I say, pure pleasure.

Please feel free to refer to any of these problems and give your (positive, please) input !

Thank you,
Eric

Hi, can help with Number 5. Set the windows sound output as stereo. Use bitstream aka passthrough in the player, you may need to set this on the device itself (the Shield) and on the Plex player. Use Plex Media Player if you can. If still no go, try kodi with the plex plug in.

Thank you @Rambles with these cues! I'll try that tonight.

Just a question, for the stereo thing, do you recommend this to avoid the confusion that Windows may have, in that it would try to handle the signal by itself ? And that forcing it to stereo will make it not touch the 5.1 signal, so it will properly be passed through HDMI ? Is that correct ?

Sort of. If you set the Windows sound output to 5.1 it will always send 5.1 audio to the amp. For stereo soundtracks, it fills the empty channels with silence. This means that the amp thinks it's getting 5.1 so removes the upmixing options.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom